Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72197 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #675 on: May 17, 2022, 05:18:04 PM »
Replace the vinegar with bubble soap and let'em have some fun. :)
Great looking assemblies by the way. If I didn't know better I would assume castings were involved. :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
Gotta get a picture of a shop elf floating across the room in a bubble!    :lolb:

No castings as you know - I'm very happy with how they turned out, and they were well worth the time to make from bar stock!   :cheers:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2022, 06:56:55 PM »
Parts and assys are looking great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

The shop elves may be eyeing up that cup thinkin "we just need to dump this vinegar, add an immersion heater, and we got a hot tub!"  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #677 on: May 17, 2022, 07:04:06 PM »
Hello Chris,

you have made 4 filigree parts again. It's always exciting to watch how you do the work. I'm looking forward to more parts and I'll open a bottle of beer 🍺.

Cheers 🍻 Michael

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #678 on: May 17, 2022, 07:38:11 PM »
Hello Chris,

you have made 4 filigree parts again. It's always exciting to watch how you do the work. I'm looking forward to more parts and I'll open a bottle of beer 🍺.

Cheers 🍻 Michael
:DrinkPint:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #679 on: May 18, 2022, 08:32:12 PM »
Today got started on the bearing blocks at the top ends of the eccentric arm yokes. On the real engine these are each in two parts, for the model I am making them in one piece with a scored line down the center, still will have bronze bearings in the center of each. Quite small!
Started with milling a couple lengths of steel bar to size, and drilled a set of holes down the sides for the bearings

flipped 90 degrees and drilled the mounting holes either side of the bearing holes, 1-72 clear, to match the holes already in the yokes

one bar, will be cut into individual bearing blocks

Before cutting, I ran a center drill (spinning) down the length to score the middle to simulate the joint between the upper/lower blocks

The blocks were sawn apart, and one at a time screwed to one side of a yoke. That let me clamp it in the side of the vise with the other end of the yoke against the side of the vise to align it. Then milled off the end of the bearing block.

so far I've got half the blocks to this stage, need to do the other four....

After that will start turning the bearing inserts for each. They look like large parts in the picture, but those are 1-72 screws...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #680 on: May 18, 2022, 08:49:52 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta draw a line, and keep score of things.  :Lol:

(I'm sure a famous coach said that some time ago)

Just joking, parts look excellent!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #681 on: May 18, 2022, 09:00:57 PM »
They look like large parts in the picture, but those are 1-72 screws...

Yeah, sure...  The next thing, you'll be trying to convince us that isn't a cobble-stone street the full sized yoke is laying on.   Those extra long bolts had to be expensive.

Nice job on the blocks.  I can't tell, did you scribe the end after you milled it?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #682 on: May 18, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »
They look like large parts in the picture, but those are 1-72 screws...

Yeah, sure...  The next thing, you'll be trying to convince us that isn't a cobble-stone street the full sized yoke is laying on.   Those extra long bolts had to be expensive.

Nice job on the blocks.  I can't tell, did you scribe the end after you milled it?

Don
Darn, you figured out I'm laying the parts out in the street for pictures...!  :LittleDevil:
I have not yet scribed the ends, that is planned to do. Now that you mention it, it would make sense to do that before taking off the first set to get ready to mill the second set (I bolted up one block on each yoke to start). That would save a round of running the screws in and out! Hope I remember that next time I wander back into the shop....
 :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #683 on: May 18, 2022, 09:13:09 PM »
Sometimes you just gotta draw a line, and keep score of things.  :Lol:

(I'm sure a famous coach said that some time ago)

Just joking, parts look excellent!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:Director:    Like the saying about 'there is no second place' - thats why there are 8 of these bearing blocks, couldn't make just 2!!   :Lol:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #684 on: May 18, 2022, 09:50:40 PM »
Very convincing bearing blocks, Chris!  They fit well with the yokes!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #685 on: May 19, 2022, 12:19:25 AM »
Thanks Kim!!

I remembered to score the ends of the blocks before taking the first set off and starting the second set:

so here is where things are at the moment - all the blocks are trimmed to length, and scored all the way round all four sides. I assembled them onto the yokes with the nuts on the underside.

Now, this list is mainly a reminder to myself on the order of things to do next, the order is important since the bearings are captive on the link bar posts when its all assembled:
- make and install the bearings for each block, they will ride on the posts either side of the link bars
- cut the heads off the screws with a jewelers saw
- remove each bearing block from a yoke
- install the eccentric strap/arm onto its eccentric, two nuts to act as locknuts on top end of each strap screw
- slide bearing blocks onto posts on the link bar above the yoke.
- push the yoke screws through holes in each pair of blocks, add two nuts on top and lock down.  May need to adjust position of the eccentric along length of the crankshaft to align the links
- test rotation, hope it works, fettle as needed
- celebrate when all are in place!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #686 on: May 19, 2022, 03:04:32 AM »
"Score"?......Kim do you mean match-block? & with a center drill?............ :cheers: ...Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #687 on: May 19, 2022, 03:16:10 AM »
"Score"?......Kim do you mean match-block? & with a center drill?............ :cheers: ...Derek
I used the very tip of the center drill, spinning, as an engraving tool to scribe/score/dig/whatever a line to simulate the seam between the two blocks.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #688 on: May 19, 2022, 04:51:38 PM »
Step one of the bearing block plan done, this morning turned up the eight bearings from all the little offcuts of bronze on the shelf. Well, actually made 9, while deburring the hole on the first one, I dropped it on the floor, and couldn't find it. From the giggling in the wall, I think I have a new shop gnome infestation. Time to turn the polar bear loose again to go eat them (I have enough of a shop elf army at the moment, so it would be a waste of choclate chip cookies to convert more gnomes).   :Jester:
Anyway, here are the bearings all installed in the blocks on the yokes. You can see on the upper surface that the end has a larger flange, on the bottom blocks in the picture the inner ends are sized to push fit in the holes.

The scored lines on the blocks look good as faux joints in the blocks, happy with that. Next step from the list posted yesterday, trim off the screw heads and start the installation sequence. Great place to break for lunch!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #689 on: May 19, 2022, 08:50:15 PM »
Well, important steps done, but thats enough fiddly work for one day!!

Got the screw heads trimmed off and the eccentric straps re-assembled onto the eccentrics. How many times can I drop a tiny nut or screw? Still counting, will let you know! Kept them away from the shop gnomes at least...  Then got the HP arms, bearings, and links all assembled. Needed a couple slight tweaks to the bed in the HP arms to get the links square to the engine, but things are all moving properly. Here is a picture with the parts for the HP reverse gear assembled without the cylinder plate there to give me more finger room. The final valve rod coming out of the link is laying forward on the end of the link:

Then before starting on the LP, I wanted to double-check the length of the arms and make sure things would clear the upper bearings on the crylinder plate supports. Here it is with the eccentric all the way up, and yes there is still clearance between the link and the upper bearing support:

and all the way down, the top of the valve rod is still above the bearing hanger:

:pinkelephant: :whoohoo: :cartwheel:
That clearance is critical, so well worth checking. The valve rod coming out of the actual valve up above has a smaller diameter, and it screws into the valve rod you see in the pictures with a lock nut on top of the lower rod to keep it in place.
So, all good so far, and next time I'll start on the LP links.  For now, past time to go relax and maybe watch a movie - too cold/wet outside today for much activity out there, which is why I got this much done on the assembly.
 :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal