Author Topic: The Sabino Compound Engine  (Read 72233 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: The Sabino Compound Engine
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 06:58:11 PM »
Hi Chris , Wow ..another real engine to build with all its idiosyncrasies and details to model , looking forward to this one as usual .

I liked the shot of the propeller, and at first I thought it was a picture of you with your feet up taking a well earned rest  or nap ??!!!! :D

The top piston covers look a bit unusual with no bolts poking through ?

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2022, 07:06:24 PM »
Hi Chris , Wow ..another real engine to build with all its idiosyncrasies and details to model , looking forward to this one as usual .

I liked the shot of the propeller, and at first I thought it was a picture of you with your feet up taking a well earned rest  or nap ??!!!! :D

Willy
Hi Willy,
Those top cylinder covers are not the cylinder caps, they are insulated covers on top of the caps - took me a while to confirm that, here is what the cylinder caps look like with the covers raised up:

Chris

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2022, 07:56:34 PM »
Were they spun or pressed covers, I assume you will adopt the same method for your model :stickpoke: :LittleDevil:

Luckily the one on my Fowler were less fancy so I was able to spin them.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2022, 08:17:26 PM »
Were they spun or pressed covers, I assume you will adopt the same method for your model :stickpoke: :LittleDevil:

I don't know how they were made or how thick the metal is, if I had started taking things apart I probably would have been found floating downriver... Would have liked to dismantle the whole engine block to measure the internal passages too!

For the model, will likely just turn them from bar stock.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »
I think I understand why tail rods exist for horizontal cylinders but why are they mounted on vertical cylinders?  Can someone please explain?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:19 PM »
Chris:

I suspect that if you look at pictures of the side frames and zoom in on the areas closest to the disc you might see that the paint will be really beat up.  That would be from sticking a pry bar into the hole in the disc and levering against the frame to turn the engine over, one hole at a time.

You can take out the starter and do the same thing on most car/truck engines with the starter ring gear on the flywheel.

Don
Don, like this picture I just found in the ones taken on the measurement trip set?!

Chris:

That's exactly what I was talking about.  I wasn't however expecting GROOVES to be worn in the frame.  Can you imagine how many times some poor schmuck had to pry against the frame to wear that grove in it?

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2022, 09:00:01 PM »
I think I understand why tail rods exist for horizontal cylinders but why are they mounted on vertical cylinders?  Can someone please explain?

Just and effort to keep them central Marv.    It was an unusual option for the Paine, and was definitely more popular with British Marine Engines.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2022, 09:00:37 PM »

Willy
Hi Willy,
Those top cylinder covers are not the cylinder caps, they are insulated covers on top of the caps - took me a while to confirm that, here is what the cylinder caps look like with the covers raised up:

Chris

Yup   Held on by Gravity
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »

Heavy cast iron and the top surface is flat so you can stand on them....which we did every day to polish the brass....
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2022, 09:02:56 PM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Maybe they can't leave the bar out in the open cause the ship is open to kids and adults....   :shrug: :Lol:

Engine room deck is 5 feet down from main deck and NO ONE is allowed down there....
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2022, 09:09:18 PM »
And to be clear, I was a Volunteer Assitant Engineer on board her for about 12 years.   That means I would operate with the Chief Engineer, and under his license.   Sabino's license at the time was a very specific Coast Guard license.

I never sat for it, but I had enough hours in to do so.....life just got in the way, (twins)  and I needed to finish my own boat.

Anyway....Watching along with great interest!   The jacking bar is stowed in a socket that is buried deep into the starbord Sponson directly opposite the flywheel with all the baring slots by the way.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2022, 09:13:45 PM »
And another perhaps useless piece of information.    The lagging is made Beech wood.

Its supposedly resistant to warping due to humidity/water

it's entirely held on with the brass banding and floats a bit

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »

Engine room deck is 5 feet down from main deck and NO ONE is allowed down there....

[/quote]

Only short Marine Engineers it sounds like I would bump my head a lot.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2022, 09:34:02 PM »

Only short Marine Engineers it sounds like I would bump my head a lot.

Cheers Dan
[/quote]
Amidships the engine is exposed to the main deck, but is 5 feet down from it.   So wide open head room.....aft..not so much
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2022, 11:22:51 PM »
Dave, thanks much for chiming in with more information!  I was wondering about the cladding, there is a chunk of Beech wood sitting under my bench up in the wood shop, will have to dig that out and use the proper wood. I have it left over from making a plane body years ago, great stuff for tool handles and planes, very strong and stable.

From the description of where the barring handle is, sounds like its not surprising Ron and I missed it. Looking there in my photos, I think it might have been behind my tool bag!   :facepalm2:

Good to know about the top covers, I had rapped on one to see if it was thin metal, and remember it was a solid thunk.
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal