Author Topic: A gearbox for a little locomotive  (Read 14493 times)

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
Re: A gearbox for a little locomotive
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2022, 03:24:59 PM »
Hi,
Here are the first parts of my next model, a small Deutz 4-stroke field loco for narrow gauge (600mm), at 1/13.5 scale, for 45 mm rails, from the images above.
I especially liked the transmission, and thanks to the help I received here on how the gearbox works, I was able to reproduce it faithfully enough, with the dog clutch system for both directions and the clutch on both shafts, fast and slow; the latter is done here by friction and cone instead of the spiral spring (Schlingfederkupplung), a bit too complex to miniaturize.
and I added a reducing stage because my engine will not be able to run at the speed of the original, 300-400 rpm !

This is not the chassis of my future loco, but just a first test "to see" if everything works well with recycled loco components...
I put a small dc electric motor and a battery to animate the whole stuff, the power varied from 0.5 W when idling to 0.8 W, for fast forward.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVJZqS2TNQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVJZqS2TNQ</a>

The whole thing is quite satisfactory, except the PLA 3D printed dogs, fried after these tests...
I still have to put a steering wheel for the speed clutch and a lever for selecting the direction gear to keep these couplings well engaged during the ride.

Then the engine, a small 4 stoke (about 2cm3) with long stroke, will be also quite interesting to make, the rest of the model being more conventional modelling!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 04:40:21 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
EXCELLENT!
 :popcorn:

John

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 05:11:24 PM »
What a great little gearbox! I'm looking forward to watching this project develop. :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 08:35:15 AM »
 thanks for the appreciations!
and thanks again for unravelling the mechanism of this transmission !

some pictures of the components.
I did first a set of 3d printed dog clutches, to see if they easily engage, but obviously they didn't last for long ! I hope the brass ones would last longer...I still have to make a new set with a slopped or staggered part in the dogs, as in the original drawings.
all the axles are mounted with roller bearing, to minimize drag in all these gears. I'm confident that my engine will cope with it.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2022, 11:10:37 AM »
A very convincing demonstration of the whole system  :praise2:

+ thank you very much for having the Deutch drawing in the background of the second to last picture - as it helped me to understand how the original clutch worked  :cheers:

Per

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2022, 06:40:24 PM »
 Ha ha, the clutch with the spiral spring, I replaced it by a friction drive... as I didn't understand the arrangement..

but recently I have found on the net the instructions for use for these little loco, with the setting of the spiral clutch, with 0.5mm of clearance between the drum and the spring, with the proper documentation the mechanism in now cristal clear even for me...
pressure on the disk push the little lever and reduces the diameter of the spiral spring which bind to the drum and drive the gear wheel...
It is very clever, but alas too difficult to miniaturize...but if everything goes, maybe I will have a go.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:52:27 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2022, 10:30:47 PM »
Nice to see it in even bigger format - but you can actually se it in the picture I mention  ;)

Per

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2022, 05:10:20 PM »
Excellent  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

Some similar gearboxes were made with cone clutches, I think O&K may have been one of them. The spring type clutch, under the name Scroll Clutch was used in some early Mercedes Benz cars.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/scroll-clutches-wrapped-spring-type-152483/
Best regards

Roger

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
Thanks Roger,
the level of knowledge here is amazing !

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2022, 08:39:40 AM »
Some progress in this project, after a break and a visit to the hospital, I resumed the built of my loco, phew!.

I dit a short test on rails in the club of the little gearbox...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsvwhXA32E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmsvwhXA32E</a>

and continued on the loco, with its final chassis almost finished, somewhat bigger than the one in the video test.

and I also did some work on the 4 stroke engine too, I machined most of the parts from aluminium stock by turning the handwheels by hand while reading dials...
In spite of spending hours (and having fun) to model the engine in 3D with Solvespace, and 3D printed main parts, I didn't manage to get any good aluminium casting from the PLA 3D printed parts except the cylinder head.

Getting alum. castings was the main goal of all this 3D modelling work...that seems useless now !

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-RMN9a095M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-RMN9a095M</a>

I will continue on a new topic, owing to the warning that it is a old thread...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 11:15:21 AM by Zephyrin »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
Glad to see you back on this and some wheels turning  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:

There's no need to start a new thread, it's better to keep it all in one place.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2022, 06:29:50 PM »
You have made a lot of progress since your previous post - thank you for showing  :ThumbsUp:

The Test-Mock-Up ran nicely  :cartwheel:  - but I did not see how you switched from High to Low Gear ?

You have installed some nice handles - is this also how you plan to opperate it on track later ?

I hope that whatever put you in Hospital is a closed chapter behind you   :LittleAngel:  :cheers:

Per

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2022, 06:51:58 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2022, 09:08:39 AM »
Hi,

Here's the continuation of the build, with some pictures of the loco itself, plain model making, 2 mm steel sheets cut and assembled by riveting and screwing on commercial brass angles, a not at all square stuff !
turned wheels in cast iron, held on the axles by cylindrical embedded nuts.

I didn't bother to make the suspension, as I'll need the space between the frames.
On the other hand I had to made the brake controls, a very visible element on a model of this scale (1/13.5). The brakes are fully functional, but you have to be on board...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3VSvxSn7pVwXpShA6

I will probably add coupling rods on the wheels, much more attractive than hidden gears for coupling wheels, and present on some these machines...

the fast/slow switch uses the little wheel which moves a small lever against one or the other of the 2 coned
clutches. this more visible on the last picture.

"
I hope that whatever put you in Hospital is a closed chapter behind you
yes Per, far much better after than before the surgery...with some 5.5 x 40 screws in my lumbar spine, self tapping screws, but they use tap on some occasions, yes, I did, I couldn't help asking.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2022, 06:28:47 PM »

Some more changes on the wheels, as I adopted external coupling rods, much more appealing on such a crude loco, and which leaves me plenty of space between the frames to house the ignition.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oEopL2Rwagq23Ty48

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal