Author Topic: Fault finding  (Read 877 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Fault finding
« on: September 20, 2022, 07:28:09 PM »
I hadn't run my first engine, the 3cc vertical single for some time. When Alex S came to visit I got it off the shelf for a run. It was hard to start, wouldn't rev and just kept stopping (I think Brian R has had similar problems).

I know that the sealing between the liner and the block was a poor design and wondered if I was losing compression there  :thinking: When I took the head off there were obvious water traces where there shouldn't be  :(

The bore and piston looked ok although there were some dark areas on the piston ring. When I pushed the liner out half of the water jacket was full of gunge  ::) Was this due to leaking combustion gasses? When put back together the liner was 0.1mm below the block which is obviously a leak point. I gave the liner and block a good clean in the ultrasonic bath ready for the reassembly.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Fault finding
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 07:49:18 PM »
In the original design the liner was clamped in the cylinder block by the head and head gasket. This was not a good move even though I thought that the expansion coefficients of aluminium and brass were close enough. This time I fixed the top of the liner in place with Loctite and then faced the block and liner together. I punched another head gasket with the original template and reassembled the engine.

The compression was now good, but it still ran badly  :toilet_claw:  Next step the ignition system. The timing was still correct but the spark seemed rather weak. The supply voltage to the Rcexel ignition was still a steady 6V so I decided to go back to the coil system that I used to first get the engine to run. This was much better, not the best as I will have to adjust the timing to compensate for the Rcexel advance curve.

I will now have to decide to keep the 6V system via a 7806 regulator or rebuild the Vellman ignition back to it's original 12V form with a 12V motor bike coil  :thinking:

I finally took the cover off the Rcexel ignition to see what is inside. Mostly potting compound  :(
Best regards

Roger

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 09:28:05 PM »
Excellent debugging work, Roger!

It never fails, does it?  When you go to give a demo, things don't work  :-\
I'm sure there's some Peter Principle type thing at work here, you know?

Kim

Offline AlexS

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:39 PM »
Nice work on debugging and rebuilding your first engine.

On my engine I use the same Rcexel ignition with a digital hall sensor electronics. Feeded with 5V from a USB charger. Only thing I had to make from the negative wire from power supply to the engine crankcase. Otherwise I saw when testing with head off no good ignition of the plug.
Currently, the engine is start and go (now fitted with Honda Monkey 9mm carb) and could read the ignition timing by stroboscope. Tested multiple timings. Setting the Static timing (when turning flywheel and hear the ignition or see hall sensor light switch off and than on (ignite)) to 25 degree BTDC, result at low stationary (+-1200 rpm) of 15 degree BTDC ignition timing. And rev up it go to 35 degree (+20 degree advancing) and stays 35 degree when turn up speed (say 4000 rpm).

Nice to see inside of the Rcexel. I saw a supplier that could deliver this kind of ignition kits on request specification (amount of cylinders, timing/advancing).

Maybe this could help!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal