Author Topic: Brian builds a Corliss  (Read 21294 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Brian builds a Corliss
« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2022, 07:00:35 PM »
The great "cosmeticing" has began. First order of the day was to prime the two components that I had used some J.B. Weld on to fill holes drilled in the wrong place and fill in holes left from welding the outer end of the spokes to the flywheel outer diameter. These had been filled with J.B. weld previously, and sanded smooth, but I can never tell until I get some primer on there whether the holes
need a bit more filler or not.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #211 on: April 30, 2022, 08:35:51 PM »
This afternoon I've got the blues---But that's not a bad thing!!! Everything except for the wobble plate and the linkages got three coats of spray on Tremclad enamel. The wobble plate and linkages were painted by hand with a very small art brush. I have one bearing support that I have to add some J.B. Weld to, and I will let that set up overnight so I can finalize the shape and paint it tomorrow.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »
All of the engine parts are painted, unmasked, and set up together for a family shot. One bearing stand is missing---I had to J.B. Weld some "oopsies" on it last night and this morning I sanded it to shape and painted it and the paint is still wet. I have not painted any of the brass parts that show. There are a couple of very minor "blems" in the flywheel and engine base, so in about ten minutes I am off to Canadian Tire to buy a small tube of "spot putty" to fix them, and tomorrow I will paint them. Something I have learned over time---Although the paint dried overnight, it can still be marked by too much handling. Far better to let it set up for three full days before trying to reassemble everything.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2022, 08:21:15 PM »
Today was my day to run around to different doctors offices getting lined up for physio, x-rays, meeting with surgeon, yada, yada, yada. Yesterday I spot puttied and primed the engine base and flywheel and painted them. This afternoon I took off the masking tape and paper. I'm happy with the results of my painting.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 The painting & colors look GREAT! I see you even managed to get some on the engine parts as well!  :ROFL:
 Seriously, a real nice job. I know you're not a fan of painting engines, but these look really nice.

I do hope you post some drawings of where you ended up with the timing events, I saw Jason's sketches but I think it would be beneficial to some future builders of this model, maybe valve positions at TDC & BDC as well as (& any other info), if you post them to the original thread here: https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1285.msg16981.html#msg16981

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2022, 08:12:17 PM »
For a first time "Paint everything", I'm pretty pleased with this. There is almost as much work painting everything as there is in machining it. I'm happy with my Canadian maple leaf. I bought a little flag at the five and dime and used it as reference while I hand sketched the same leaf only about 3/4 as large as the one on the flag to make it fit. I wasn't sure enough of my ability to paint it right onto the white base, so I cut out a piece of 0.060" steel and painted it red, then epoxied it onto the base.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2022, 02:33:49 AM »
Brian,
Looks good with paint!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2022, 10:53:33 PM »
Okay Guys---We're all finished here. The paint turned out really pretty, my Canadian maple leaf shows up just fine, and the engine runs well. It is mounted in the old wooden base that was built for the Rupnow Engine about ten years ago. There is a degree of "Wonkiness" going on with the flywheel hub, but sometimes that happens with a built up flywheel. I want to take the summer off now, I've built three engines over the past winter, and I'm burned out on machining things. Have a really great summer!!!---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71EAsvTeQc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71EAsvTeQc</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2022, 12:01:46 AM »
Looks terrific, love the leaf too!  Thanks for sharing the build, and enjoy the summer!!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »
Thank you for your dokumentation here Brian  :ThumbsUp:

A fine runner and nice paint job - enjoy your Summer  :cheers:

Per

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #220 on: May 07, 2022, 01:54:42 AM »
Looks terrific, love the leaf too!  Thanks for sharing the build, and enjoy the summer!!

I’ll double what Chris says.    :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #221 on: May 07, 2022, 05:22:40 AM »
Go Canada!!! .... I am not a fan of the of the valve works being painted, as I feel it detracts from the visual stimulation and attraction. And the wonky flywheel hub detracts from the overall presentation, however, it is a runner and that is what truly matters in the end.

BC1

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #222 on: May 07, 2022, 08:41:03 PM »
Very nice Brian  :ThumbsUp:

I haven't commented before but I have followed your build from the start.

An entertaining journey

Cheers

Rich

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #223 on: May 07, 2022, 10:57:19 PM »
Thank you for following my posts and for the comments. I am going to try to do something different now.----Staying out of my machine shop for a few months until fall. I have built so many engines over the last ten years, and spent so much time in my shop, that a few months away from my shop might be a good thing for me. I've sat around the house doing nothing for the last few days, and I said to my wife that I don't know what the heck I did with my life before getting into building small engines. I'm not really sure that I can do this, but I'm going to try.----Brian

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2022, 03:10:49 AM »
 I give it a couple of weeks. You can't stay out of this game Brian. you sold your soul.
 Designing things keeps you up at night, keeps you going.

Whatever direction you choose, I hope you find happiness in it.

I hope you & the missus & family have a great summer as well. Keep up those walks & stay healthy,

Kind regards,

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal