Author Topic: Model Circular Sawmill  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Model Circular Sawmill
« on: March 13, 2022, 05:23:32 PM »
 I've been doing some sawmill research & stumbled across this: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2TQm0Hieg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT2TQm0Hieg</a>
 A nice, simple little display that shows a variation of the  "Heacock Patented Saw Mill Feed Works", a feed (carriage) reversing system operating through a belt drive. I've always wondered how this feed system works & have been making up some CAD models to understand it better, a fun exercise.

I know G. Britnell & B. Rupnow have made models of sawmills, does anybody else know of any other model sawmills?

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Model Circular Sawmill
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 06:07:58 PM »
Pretty neat mechanism. I haven't seen that one before. Particularly like the name of the 'wood' being cut in the video! 

I haven't looked into those machines before, have done a bunch of research into the Ransome Tree Feller saws, want to build one of those sometime.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 06:15:29 PM »
This one is based on a Stenner & Gunn and is 1/4 scale

As is the engine driving it

Chris, You'll be wanting the cross cut saw once your tree is felled ;)

https://www.ts-modelldampfmaschinen.de/info/videos.html

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Jason - thats a great little steam crosscut saw. Doesn't look like they sell just the plans, know of any sources?

JohnMcc - sorry for the diversion!

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »
Afraid not. only got details of a Hercules (hit & miss) drag saw.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 10:40:33 PM »
thank you for the input fellas!
 Jason: Wow, thats nice, must have been really something to see it run!

There is a crosscut saw in the old catalog i downloaded, it would make a nice model.

Chris: get back to work! We're waiting on your next masterpiece!

Attached is where I'm at so far, this husk assembly was a bear. The pulley positioning is tricky to make the reverse work. I didn't show the belt in sect B-B on the drawing, it would be in a "slack" position between the pulley's. A work in progress..

John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2022, 03:20:09 AM »
I think Chris better be careful if he builds a tree fella…….
Can see Elf’njack having a go at a chair leg or 2 while he dozes in the sun while working on the next model

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 03:41:28 AM »
I think Chris better be careful if he builds a tree fella…….
Can see Elf’njack having a go at a chair leg or 2 while he dozes in the sun while working on the next model

Cheers Kerrin
Oooh, yes, that WOULD be a problem!  All the chairs tipping over, table all crooked...  Hmmm, would have to put in the rubber saw blade while on display! :lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 03:44:11 AM »
thank you for the input fellas!
 Jason: Wow, thats nice, must have been really something to see it run!

There is a crosscut saw in the old catalog i downloaded, it would make a nice model.

Chris: get back to work! We're waiting on your next masterpiece!

Attached is where I'm at so far, this husk assembly was a bear. The pulley positioning is tricky to make the reverse work. I didn't show the belt in sect B-B on the drawing, it would be in a "slack" position between the pulley's. A work in progress..

John
Thats a nice looking design, going to be a great model!

And I'm 'working' away on the Sabino model, though thats a dirty word for the retired guy. Almost as bad as 'meeting'. Ick! Sorry for the swearing...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 03:45:35 AM »
John,
Have you done any patent searches on those saws? I've found them to be great references for mechanisms, since they include diagrams and descriptions of all the parts. Google has a good patent search tool for US patents.
Chris

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
Hi Chris! I've been following along on the Sabino model, it's a nice engine with quite the history, great stuff!

I did look up the patent(s) for the Heacock feed, the first patent was granted on Christmas day, 1888. 5 months later he was granted another one for improvements he had made to the first one. I also found a couple of catalogs from "American Sawmill Machinery Co." that I have been using to model from. I found the catalogs here: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=36&tab=3
 I could spend all day looking at all the old manuals on that site..

I've attached the 2 patents & a screen grab of the saw I'm using as a reference.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 04:00:20 PM »
I didn't realize that Vintage Machinery had catalog scans for a lot of things, just looked and they have a bunch for Ransome that include pictures and descriptions of the tree fellers and crosscut saws!  Yes! :whoohoo: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal