Author Topic: Too Loose a Piece  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Too Loose a Piece
« on: February 13, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
I got a cry for HELP a couple of weeks ago, it would seem that Grahams loose piece that produces the name on his Retlas engine's base casting had been lost and could I help with a replacement.

After a bit of playing about with Alibre and then F360 I had about 100,000 lines of G-code on a USB stick which I promptly stuck in the KX3 together with a piece of 1/4" brass and after 103mins this is what I ended up with.

I think I will put it on a chain so he can wear it around his neck which may also help prevent this one getting lost too ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0IPIh3BOs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0IPIh3BOs</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Too Loose a Piece
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 07:33:47 PM »
Vincent would be very grateful for your help Jason.

Thanks a million.

:cheers:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 09:45:21 PM »
Great result Jason  :ThumbsUp:

Was the 'Background of the Letters' planned or just a lucky side-effect of F360's CAM function ?

Per

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 07:06:39 AM »
Just a side effect which is more visual than can be physically felt with a finger nail.

Its a balance between a small enough tool to fit into the letters and how fine a step over you want to run, I could have got it finer but run time goes up. As it is only a pattern for sand casting then this will be more than good enough.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 04:53:39 PM »
I gave the part I made in my previous post a quick bead blast and was happy that all the toolmarks have gone, goes to show that they are more visual than physical and that the tool is going up and down at a consistent height.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal