Author Topic: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Complete  (Read 9656 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Holly Pumping Engine Complete
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »
I somehow missed the completion of this incredible project.  Well Done.  I'll be binge watching both Chris Reapy's youtube videos, AND Gary Ayres as well.  RC boats, forklifts, great pumping engines, and modular synths...

It's nerdvana!
Best to all,
Stan
:cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2022, 01:46:37 AM »
Chris,
Sorry to join the end of the parade but somehow this wrap up escaped me. Phenomenal work and it runs and pumps like clockwork.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2022, 01:56:54 AM »
Chris,
Sorry to join the end of the parade but somehow this wrap up escaped me. Phenomenal work and it runs and pumps like clockwork.
Art
Thanks Art!    :cheers:

Just heard from the historian at the Cincinnati waterworks museum that they are back to giving monthly tours in April. I'm going to be there in May. They have four huge pumping engines built by RD Wood. Really looking forward to seeing them!

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2022, 09:18:18 PM »
Fantastic work Chris!  (as we've all come to expect from you)

Are the drawings likely to appear in Live Steam at some point?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2022, 09:31:49 PM »
Fantastic work Chris!  (as we've all come to expect from you)

Are the drawings likely to appear in Live Steam at some point?
Thanks Mcgyver! 

The editor at Live Steam did ask for a writeup on the Holly model, will likely appear this summer or fall after the Mann Wagon is done and before the Marion steam shovel finally starts (that one with plans). Its just a single-issue photo article with overview of the build, no plans for the Holly though in the article.

Are you interested in building a Holly model?

Chris

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2022, 11:56:14 PM »
Absolutely interested....whether that is a sane, rational or practical position is more than a little bit questionable....just based on the volume projects in the queue.  I'm not retired nor as prodigious a builder.  I keep having marvelous machines show up on the stoop that can't resist but they end up taking so much time. 

Anyway, as you publish and buy brass, I publish and buy shop stuff...I think a high resolution SLA printer is a compelling use for some funds.  The resolution and accuracy of some of them are just fantastic, close to a thou.  Lost wax cast engine parts would be one of the highlights of such a set up and those large pipes that model has would be an interesting experiment. 

Its semi idle musing....I'm just not in a position dig into it, but the notion certainly is appealing!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:18:54 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2022, 12:29:00 AM »
Absolutely interested....whether that is a sane, rational or practical position is more than a little bit questionable....just based on the volume projects in the queue.  I'm not retired nor as prodigious a builder.  I keep having marvelous machine show up on the stoop that can't resist but they end up taking so much time. 

Anyway, as you publish and buy brass, I publish and buy shop stuff...I think a high resolution SLA printer is a compelling use for some funds.  The resolution and accuracy of some of them are just fantastic, close to a thou.  Lost wax cast engine parts would be one of the highlights of such a set up and those large pipes that model has would be an interesting experiment. 

Its semi idle musing....I'm just not in a position dig into it, but the notion certainly is appealing!
Understood!  I did 3d print those lower pipes and housings, no reason the whole thing couldn't be printed a piece at a time, though making it run is less practical. I do have the 3d versions for both the Holly and Allis engines, it would still be a big project and a lot of printing, whether to print final parts or wax masters. Let me know if you want to actually proceed.

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2023, 07:17:55 PM »
What a gorgeous engine.A high level of craftsmanship and so amazing to see it working similar to the original.
My deepest respect.
Cheers,Ralph

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2023, 08:15:16 PM »
What a gorgeous engine.A high level of craftsmanship and so amazing to see it working similar to the original.
My deepest respect.
Cheers,Ralph
Thanks Ralph!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal