Author Topic: Steemaster 1440 TR lathe shear pin  (Read 1267 times)

Offline wundy

Steemaster 1440 TR lathe shear pin
« on: January 22, 2022, 03:59:21 AM »
Good day all, my first post here, I am looking for the location on my lathe of the feed screw shear pin.

I accidently ran the carriage to the end of its travel while practicing cutting a thread, as a result the feed screw does not drive.
The lathe manual says that it supplied with two spare shear pins which are not in the toolbox, more importantly for me is where to find the pin location.

Many thanks
Geoff Wundy

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Re: Steemaster 1440 TR lathe shear pin
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 03:11:15 PM »
Don't know your particular machine but they are usually in the coupler at the end of leadscrew where it enters the head stock.
   ...lew...

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 03:53:47 PM »
Did the same thing with my Grizzly lathe some years ago.  I was sanding a piece to finish it and didn’t realize I had the cross feed engaged.  Nice to know the lathe designers realize an operator will/may do something dumb such as this and use shear pins to transmit the drive.

I was lucky as my lathe came with a full set of exploded drawings and numbered parts.  A quick call to Grizzly and a replacement pin was in the mail. 
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:37:05 PM »
I've had to make quite a few for the Clausings-Metosas at school . They are brass with the 1 in 50 taper and aren't too difficult to make from a piece of 5/16 rod once the compound is set right.  Turning the entire amount with one setting does the trick nicely.
   ...lew...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal