Author Topic: making simple spring clamp  (Read 1675 times)

Offline petertha

making simple spring clamp
« on: January 27, 2022, 03:19:39 AM »
I'm thinking of making a simplified tubing clamp. The dimensions will vary slightly but just as a guess, say 0.300" OD x 0.030 WT x 0.100 axial length. The application is to squeeze silicone tubing couplers against aluminum tubes. So I want to open them up slightly to slide into position over the silicone, release & have them clamp down. The silicone size/stretch is doing most of the actual sealing, the clamps are more to keep thing into place. But if I can get away with more like sealing force without distorting the shape while opening, I have similar applications in mind.

My thought was to turn them from O1 (elevated carbon tool steel I have in stock), make the slit, then heat treat them. That's the part I'm not clear on. I've torch heated & oil quenched & tempered this material to the tan brown hardness for different end applications. Should I replicate this procedure but temper to elevated temperature (blue is what I've heard).

Offline TonyM

Re: making simple spring clamp
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 07:11:02 AM »
I realise this does not answer your specific question but I have made similar clamps by cutting off a couple of turns of a suitable tension spring.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal