Author Topic: Hi, from Somerset, UK.  (Read 1030 times)

Offline MDRBM

Hi, from Somerset, UK.
« on: December 27, 2021, 02:45:36 PM »
Hello.
        Recently signed up, i got myself a (chinese) lathe a few years ago when ill health reduced my ability to work restoring my old MGB GT. I am very much a beginner still and still learning the basics, but i can be overly ambitious with what i set out to do and not really completed anything  :embarassed:

I have always been interested in engines, and most things mechanical and so this website has been an amazing discovery, great to see peoples projects, both the process and the end results. Hopefully will be able to pick up a few things to allow me to complete something myself.

MDRBM.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Hi, from Somerset, UK.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 03:17:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum! This is a great place to gain knowledge and inspiration on the path from beginner to experienced.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

What are you making/planning to make, steam, IC, hot air?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Where is Somerset do you live? If you live towards the north Somerset I can recommend the Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers. We are a friendly bunch with a broad range of interests. 
Best wishes
Trevorc

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
Hi there MDRBM,
Welcome to the forum!  Yes, you can learn a lot from the people on this forum, I certainly have!
You can definitely learn a lot from watching other's threads, that is for sure.  But I will say you learn the most when you post your own projects, that way people can offer advice & info specific to what you are working on.

Looking forward to hearing about your project!
Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 07:22:12 PM »
Welcome aboard! Definitely well worth posting your builds, that way you can get opinions and ideas along the way. Looking forward to seeing your builds!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline MDRBM

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 02:48:58 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. My interests are mainly IC, but also steam, i did make a small boiler to work with a pre-machined kit i assembled, it didn't work at all, much too small, but it did give me a chance to learn silver soldering, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

Welcome to the forum. Where is Somerset do you live? If you live towards the north Somerset I can recommend the Bristol Society of Model and Experimental Engineers. We are a friendly bunch with a broad range of interests. 
Best wishes
Trevorc

I am North Somerset, so will have to check them out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal