Author Topic: Menck IV steam shovel model 1:12  (Read 7432 times)

Offline horst.b.0

Menck IV steam shovel model 1:12
« on: December 19, 2021, 12:59:12 PM »
In the german metal working forum forum.zerspanungsbude.net you will find my progress report of my steam shovel model. I would like to post progress reports here as well, so that you don’t need to translate the comments.

Recently I was working on boiler fittings. As I use compressed air the boiler is only used to hide the air connection, fittings have no function. The main steam valve on top of the boiler is not operational and always open. Now the injectors are completed.

The steam pump on the left in front of the water tank is the ejector for filling the tank. The two injectors pumped water into the boiler. The picture on the right shows a view from the boom. The container on the left is separated into water tank and a space for ballast. The not yet completed container to the right of the boiler was storage for coal and ballast.
Kind regards, Horst

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Menck IV steam shovel model 1:12
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 04:54:27 PM »
This is truly facinating!  An amazing beast!

Thank you for posting your updates here, I appreciate seeing them!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 04:59:39 PM »
Wonderful work! 

On the left side of the picture, it looks like there is a steam line on the end of the main winch drum shaft - is this for a steam-operated clutch to engage the drum? The early-1900's Marion shovels used a mechanism like that to operate a small piston, mounted on and rotating with the drum, that tightened a clutch band.

Also, does the smaller gear that is on left end of the shaft above the drum move side to side to engage the larger gear under it?
Watching along, and thanks for taking the time to post the translations from here out!
Chris

:popcorn:

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 07:41:06 PM »

On the left side of the picture, it looks like there is a steam line on the end of the main winch drum shaft - is this for a steam-operated clutch to engage the drum?

Also, does the smaller gear that is on left end of the shaft above the drum move side to side to engage the larger gear under it?
Hello Chris,
The answer to both questions is ‚yes‘. The steam operated clutch is similar to the one on the Marion engine.
The gearwheel will be shifted by a lever mounted under the roof next to the operator‘s seat. It is used for lifting the boom. The boom is held in it‘s position only by the non-reverse ratchet on the right end of the shaft. I could hardly believe this when I first saw it on the original engine.

Horst
Kind regards, Horst

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 01:30:43 AM »
I'm a huge fan of shovels and this looks great! More pictures? Please!

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 12:12:54 PM »
Hi all,

Building the water tank and coal bunker was rather time consuming and nerve wrecking. Cutting and bending the sheets went well with my self made bending tools, but connecting the ends to an angle section was difficult. On the original engine, these connections were riveted. I could rivet one side of the angle section (right hand row of rivets in the first picture) to the sheet, but found no way to hammer the rivets inside the bunker. So I used M1.6 mm brass screws with rivet heads for the left hand row. The difficulty was to get the 2.5 mm wide nuts on to the screws 12 cm deep in the narrow tank and tighten them. I finally found a way by making an adapter for a 2.5 mm socket to stick on a Proxxon ratchet driver. As the hole in the socket is deep enough for three nuts I needed the screw to stick out about 5 mm and cut it off after tightening the nut.
This was the typical sort of work where workshop elves could have been a great help. Unfortunately they had gone out for Christmas shopping across the nearby border to France. Because of the Covid related travel restrictions they have to self isolate for 10 days after returning into Germany. This will give me time the next few days to post some pictures of previous building stages in this forum. :ROFL:

Merry Christmas and a good start into 2022 to all of you.
Horst
Kind regards, Horst

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 02:20:03 PM »
That piping work is fantastic.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 06:07:41 PM »
Looks like pretty hard work to get those fasteners down that far in the coal & water bunkers.  Well done!
Kim

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 10:05:42 AM »
The drive mechanism in the undercarriage seems to be unique to the manufacturer Menck&Hambrock. A review of making the model components (4 years ago!) shows how it worked in full size (and works in the model).
The driving axle is powered by the hoist engine. The first picture above shows the bevel wheel under the winding drum, that can be connected to one of two small bevel wheels on the crank shaft by a dog clutch in the center of the shaft. This was done by the operator. Driving direction was chosen by the bevel wheel connected. The operator did not have a brake!
Power was transmitted through three sets of bevel wheels. Steering and braking was done by a second operator walking behind the engine, who had a separate dog clutch and brake for each caterpillar chain. The first attachment shows the partly built driving and clutch axles. Both axles are split, each side can move separately. The shaft on the top is the ‘clutch axle’, consisting of five separate parts. The large bevel wheel drives a hollow central shaft. Two shafts with gear wheel and brake wheel (band brake) stick in the central shaft. The connection between central and inner shafts is done by dog clutches, built as a sort of pipe sliding sideways on the central shaft connecting shaft to the brake wheel. These clutches are shifted via levers from behind the engine. The second attached picture shows the arrangement in the frame with bearings and band brakes installed.
Like on the original shovel frames are made by riveting sheets and angle sections. I used brass sheets, angle sections and rivets for the model, because I didn’t find steel material of the required size. Rivets are 1 millimeter in diameter, sheets are 1 mm thick.
Kind regards, Horst

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 12:30:07 PM »
Your model looks amazing - though I suspect that you haven't finished the gear / dog-clutch.

How did you make the first big Bevel / Hypoid Gear ?
Did you use a small cutter in order not to hit the axel ?

Best wishes

Per

Offline horst.b.0

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »
Your model looks amazing - though I suspect that you haven't finished the gear / dog-clutch.

How did you make the first big Bevel / Hypoid Gear ?
Did you use a small cutter in order not to hit the axel ?

Best wishes

Per
Hi Per,
The dog clutch and gears are finished and working.
I made the bevel gear of the clutch axle seperately with a standard module 1 cutter and then pressed it onto the shaft.
Kind regards, Horst

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 03:42:13 PM »
Absolutely splendid work, Horst. Really really good.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 05:16:07 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: These steam shovels have so many complicated mechanisms  ::)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »
Ah - yes I now see that the parts are in a different state of finished in the two pictures - should have noticed first time :facepalm:

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 09:24:07 AM »
I'm full of admiration for anyone who builds a model steam shovel.  Is the full size machine from which you are working near to you? If so could you post a few pictures of it please?

I am (very) slowly working on a Ruston-Bucyrus shovel, so that has to be Diesel. I would have had no problem if my Father was still with us; he spent at least 30 years working on them, mainly RB12 and RB19. Of course he often had components at home. his bench in the garage had become liberally coated with heavy gear oil by the time I came on the scene.

I must compliment you on the clear pictures you have provided

Looking forward to seeing more.

Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal