Author Topic: Duplex pump  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Steamingandy

Duplex pump
« on: December 18, 2021, 07:53:58 PM »
I came across this duplex pump while looking for something else, can’t remember where I got it, decided to see if it ran, one side was willing but the other wasn’t interested so out came the spanner’s.
The last time it was steamed it was left with water in the valve chest,the valve spindles and nuts are steel so nice and rusted,I managed to get them apart with some persuasion but  the damage is done so I will have a go at making some stainless ones.
Anyone know if this a established model or a freelance?

Offline EricB

Re: Duplex pump
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 01:38:44 AM »
It looks like someone's interpretation of this pump.

https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10382.0.html

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 07:57:35 AM »
 You could find another type of type of these donkey pump in LBSC 's book "shop, shed and road", with rocker mechanism on top.

these pumps seems odd when running without crankshaft and flywheel !

yes, you have to make new valve rod in stainless steel, as the rusted ones would not slide easily il the cover and gland. Probably the same treatment for the piston rods too is required...

Offline Steamingandy

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »
New stainless valve rods & nuts made, a pair of joints, when I was cleaning I noticed one of the steam ports was blocked, I managed to clear it by drilling and when I blew back from the cylinder a load of swarf and muck came out so looks like it has never run.
After building up put some air on it and away it went  :whoohoo:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal