Author Topic: Stuart S50  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Stuart S50
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 09:35:02 PM »
You are really on a roll here - are you fortunate enough to have a lot of Shop time on your hands right now ?

:popcorn:    :cheers:

Per

Offline samc88

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 09:58:38 PM »
You are really on a roll here - are you fortunate enough to have a lot of Shop time on your hands right now ?

:popcorn:    :cheers:

Per
Just a couple of extra days hopefully. Im waiting for a PCR test to come back after testing positive for covid on a lateral flow test on Wednesday. Got no symptoms so making the most of having to take a couple of days off work.

Im also quite enthused by this now ive got my mill working properly with the DRO

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 10:42:55 PM »
Wow a whole lot of work going on in this thread. Some really nice work Sam….. :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline samc88

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 11:24:50 PM »
Thank you Don, I'm really enjoying this one so far, hope to get some more done over the weekend

Offline samc88

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
Not much machining today although I did start on the eccentric sheave which ill finish off tomorrow. Decided to sort the decorative bits on the base out, mainly to protect it since its finished and will be to one side for a bit, you only have to turn your back 5 minutes before something rusts over here.

Painted with LMS maroon and Satin Black. Studs were made from 7BA stud bar and one size smaller nuts. Well worth the effort i think
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 10:01:10 PM by samc88 »

Offline samc88

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 09:47:21 PM »
Not much to report as I forgot to take photos whilst machining but I got the eccentric sheave machined tonight. Quite a nice turning job in the 4 jaw.

Offline samc88

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 08:39:58 PM »
Ive made a fair bit if progress since the last update but typically Ive forgotten to update the thread

First up are the things i made but didnt have any progress shots, namely the eccentric strap (I got to use my new slitting saw for the first time which was fun!), the flywheel and the gland nuts.

Ive got a lot more photos of making the cylinder and a couple of other bits so Ill add a post for those later

Offline samc88

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
Cylinder basic machining

The first thing to do was to make up a mandrel to be a good fit for inside the cast cylinder bore, the other end was then turned to fit inside my jacobs chuck. This was done to get an easy alignment in my 4 jaw chuck.

Once set up  the end was faced and then the cylinder bored to 5/8". With the bore done, i set the cylinder up in the mill and took it to the final overall length using the fly cutter.

Again using the fly cutter I took to port face down to size. Using a 5/16 bit of round stock in the bore allowed me to use the top of the vice as a datum for the bore centreline since the dimensions come from this point.

The ports were then opened up to the correct width and depth, something that Im quite happy with how they turned out.

Offline samc88

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2022, 09:03:46 PM »
Cylinder other machining

Using the same 5/16" bar and a square i machined the bolting face to the required thickness. Then I did some co-ordinate drilling, I just love the DRO for this! When i did a test fit, it all bolted up perfectly on the first attempt which I was most pleased with!

With that done it was simple to machine the other bits flat and drill and tap them. I did do the passages but didnt have any photos of doing them, basically i milled the pocket in the top of the bore, aligned up the angle by eye and drilled through. Went a lot better than I thought it would.

My good fortune with the cylinder repaid itself with the steam chest, i machined it to size with a carbide end mill I got given but its completely chilled both sides, even a centre drill wouldnt go in. So abandoned that casting in favour of fabricating one from some 1/4" x 1/2" mild steel bar which Ill do later on.

Offline samc88

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 09:11:04 PM »
After the annoying chilled casting I decided to leave the valve gear for now and make the piston which is made out of brass, first it was turned to slightly under the bore diameter before grooving to fit a silicone oring. It was then tapped 5BA and parted off to size. With that done I made the piston rod which was easy, cut to length and thread both ends.

Lower cylinder cover was next, the register for the bore was turned to be a good fit and the hole for the piston rod was drilled too so they are both concentric to each other. OD was then turned to size before parting off. To hold it to machine the other side I bored a step into an old cast iron bushing I had in the spares box and loctited in place. This allowed me to finish off machining the other side. Pretty pleased with how its coming together now, i'll try and keep track of updating this thread as I go rather than one huge post after a while

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »
Now, you really have been busy since the last update  :ThumbsUp:

I love the colour of the already painted bits  :cheers:

Per

Offline samc88

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2022, 10:32:37 PM »
Thanks Per  :)

Its LMS Maroon and Satin black from Phoenix precision. Lovely stuff to work with

Sam

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »
Moving right along Sam - looking great. Fine parts, it will be a super engine, looking forward to that and following along with interest.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline samc88

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »
Lower cylinder cover finished off this evening. First time trying out the pcd function on my mill too so did a trial run on aluminium piece of stock i had lying around. Then i broke out the coax indicator which just about fits in my mill to get the cover central before drilling the cover. Once that was done the cylinder was drilled and tapped 7ba.
The bolts will be replaced by studs and one size smaller nuts which should look a bit finer

Offline samc88

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 06:56:39 PM »
Not a lot on the cards tonight but I have swapped out the 7BA bolts for studs and one size smaller nuts which look a bit nicer I think. Studs always make it look more steam enginey i think

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal