Author Topic: Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'.  (Read 3942 times)

Offline simplyloco

Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'.
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:33:05 AM »
Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'. Full of nostalgia and almost irrepairable junk that people bring along for repair/restoration. The Artisans work their magic, and the recipients usually cry when they lift the cloth covering their finished piece of work!

We don't have a Repair Shop here in sleepy Hamble, and I received a request from the Club Chairman to to see if I was interested in repairing an old steam toy. He'd had a request from an 'outsider' who lived in Southampton. Of course, I said yes, and along came a 'Doll' steam factory from 1935. It had a bent and dented chimney which was sitting (floating) on a wardrobe rail ring - a bodged repair-, bent rods, and an allegedly seized cylinder. There was a small oil reservoir but it could not be called a displacement lubricator.
Close examination and some Hard Talk established that the gent had not realised that it needed steam oil and not 3-in-1, hence the seizure.

I loosened things up and tightened a few screws, fired it up -with steam oil in the tank- and it went like the clappers, and continued to do so! Unfortunately the chimney fell off at this point...

Additionally, there was no way to control the flow, so we agreed that I would fit a small globe valve.

I made a new mounting plate for the chimney, silver soldering a thin brass tube to it on which could be dropped the chimney, now dent less and straight!

Here it is. It now runs perfectly at low speed. I enjoyed the job so I'm only charging him a litre of Tanqueray Gin and the cost of the globe valve.

I hope he doesn't cry when he collects it on Friday!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 11:36:33 AM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
We watch that program here in Canada all the time ... one of our favourites. The Artisans do some lovely work.
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:00:37 PM »
We get old episodes of this on Netflix or Britbox, or one of the streaming channels.  I like the show in that it shows a lot of detail in the repair processes and techniques. 

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 06:17:41 PM »
Nicely executed repairs!  I think he'll be quite pleased :)  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 01:42:53 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: Nice job.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 03:59:38 PM »
That's super - he's a lucky guy getting a quality repair at that price.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 03:58:28 AM »
Here in US they have been showing the Repair Shop on Discovery channel this week. Great show!

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 04:04:25 PM »
Here in US they have been showing the Repair Shop on Discovery channel this week. Great show!

Indeed !  It's finally reached our plateau of the intellectual desert as well. 

Usonian TV is saturated with "reality" shows; dozens of vet shows, Dr. Pimple Popper (a new advent is a pimple-popping vet show) and, of course, the 1000 pound sisters.  We call our TV a medium because it's so rare that anything is well done.

The only escape is the material coming from abroad - mainly England and Australia.  Keep it coming.

I was intrigued to observe that the metal workers on the show pronounce "solder" phonetically, i.e. "sold-er", as opposed to the Usonian "sodder".  It makes me curious to learn how we managed to come up with that mangle.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 04:35:43 PM »

Indeed !  It's finally reached our plateau of the intellectual desert as well. 

Usonian TV is saturated with "reality" shows; dozens of vet shows, Dr. Pimple Popper (a new advent is a pimple-popping vet show) and, of course, the 1000 pound sisters.  We call our TV a medium because it's so rare that anything is well done.

The only escape is the material coming from abroad - mainly England and Australia.  Keep it coming.

I was intrigued to observe that the metal workers on the show pronounce "solder" phonetically, i.e. "sold-er", as opposed to the Usonian "sodder".  It makes me curious to learn how we managed to come up with that mangle.
I've noticed too, most of my favorite shows come from abroad, Canada does a lot of good sci-fi ones too.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 05:27:37 PM »
I was intrigued to observe that the metal workers on the show pronounce "solder" phonetically, i.e. "sold-er", as opposed to the Usonian "sodder".
On the other hand, how did Aluminum ever come to be pronounced "Al-yu-minium"? :shrug:
Regards,
Ron

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »
I was intrigued to observe that the metal workers on the show pronounce "solder" phonetically, i.e. "sold-er", as opposed to the Usonian "sodder".
On the other hand, how did Aluminum ever come to be pronounced "Al-yu-minium"? :shrug:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/aluminum-vs-aluminium
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »
Thank you for that link Marv - very informative, but not very like what I thought I knew ...!
So I Googled Aluminium discovery, and got this :

https://sciencenordic.com/chemistry-denmark-science-history/h-c-orsted-discovered-aluminium-but-he-did-not-take-his-discovery-seriously/1674429

And of course it turned out to even more complex ....

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 08:36:32 PM »
Well, now I Know! I have to admit that Aluminium is more consistent with the naming of most of the other metallic elements than Aluminum is. Both links are far more informative than the shrug and smile I got from a British friend and colleague when I asked him the question years ago!
Regards,
Ron

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2022, 08:42:05 PM »
I was under the impression that everything we know is based on an 'ology', and everything we make is from something ending in  'ium'!  :hammerbash:
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 09:50:27 PM »
So we need to start calling it carbonium fiber?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal