Engines > Restoration of Model Engines

Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'.

(1/4) > >>

simplyloco:
Here in the UK we have a TV programme called 'The Repair Shop'. Full of nostalgia and almost irrepairable junk that people bring along for repair/restoration. The Artisans work their magic, and the recipients usually cry when they lift the cloth covering their finished piece of work!

We don't have a Repair Shop here in sleepy Hamble, and I received a request from the Club Chairman to to see if I was interested in repairing an old steam toy. He'd had a request from an 'outsider' who lived in Southampton. Of course, I said yes, and along came a 'Doll' steam factory from 1935. It had a bent and dented chimney which was sitting (floating) on a wardrobe rail ring - a bodged repair-, bent rods, and an allegedly seized cylinder. There was a small oil reservoir but it could not be called a displacement lubricator.
Close examination and some Hard Talk established that the gent had not realised that it needed steam oil and not 3-in-1, hence the seizure.

I loosened things up and tightened a few screws, fired it up -with steam oil in the tank- and it went like the clappers, and continued to do so! Unfortunately the chimney fell off at this point...

Additionally, there was no way to control the flow, so we agreed that I would fit a small globe valve.

I made a new mounting plate for the chimney, silver soldering a thin brass tube to it on which could be dropped the chimney, now dent less and straight!

Here it is. It now runs perfectly at low speed. I enjoyed the job so I'm only charging him a litre of Tanqueray Gin and the cost of the globe valve.

I hope he doesn't cry when he collects it on Friday!

wagnmkr:
We watch that program here in Canada all the time ... one of our favourites. The Artisans do some lovely work.

bent:
We get old episodes of this on Netflix or Britbox, or one of the streaming channels.  I like the show in that it shows a lot of detail in the repair processes and techniques. 

Kim:
Nicely executed repairs!  I think he'll be quite pleased :)  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Craig DeShong:
 :ThumbsUp: Nice job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version