Author Topic: S/N 10 Shay  (Read 3340 times)

Online Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: S/N 10 Shay
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2021, 12:19:09 AM »
Bob finished the log bunk. I am glad he cut the angle boards because it was not easy in 3D cad but my fingers were not in danger.

The forward two angle brackets are missing and I will send them to Bob in the next batch of parts.

I cut the stock bronze bushings down from 1/4" to 7/32" so the sides of the pedestals had a little more thickness. The 1/8" hole in the bushing was just right for a 6-40 form tap so that gave me a method to mount the bushing in the lathe to trim it and threads for the end cap.

Here is the first one. I did not take any photos of the process but I have 3 more to do a photo shoot.

Cheers Bob and Dan

ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2021, 12:54:26 AM »
Wonderful.    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Online Dan Rowe

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2021, 10:50:47 PM »
Thanks Chris.... my speed is nowhere near what you get done in a day, I would need better shop elves. They keep waving the union contract at me.

Here is a nifty laser center finder. The dot looks smaller in person and it is much better than using a center point as there are no shadows to make it hard on old eyes with glasses and a visor to see. I used some square stock on the sides so the chuck-jaw pressure did not crush the thin section.

The next step was a spot drill to center, than progressive drills to 5mm which is as large as my chuck goes. The final step was the micro boring bar. Nothing like doing a small hole with an intermittent cut on a silver soldered piece....blind.

I used a 6-40 form tap for a mandril to trim the bronze bushing.

The final lathe step is to cut the bushing to length. My go to cut off tool is the inverted tool on the lever slide.

Cheers Bob and Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Admiral_dk

• S°ften - Denmark
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2021, 11:53:01 AM »
No matter the speed - you are both doing well with this model  :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:   :cheers:

Per

Online Dan Rowe

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »
Thanks, Per slow but steady is my usual pace these days.

I finished the pedestal bearing caps today. They started as a hinge pin in my steel bits box. The pin was turned to diameter, then 1/16" on the end was turned to .138" for a 6-40 thread. This left a little less than 2 threads after the thread relief was cut on the end. I drilled the threaded end 1.3mm to clear the M1.2 adjusting bolt. Having a micrometer stop came in handy to drill this hole .050" deep.

The ends were cut off and two more pieces were made. I used the cutoff threaded piece to mount the end caps to drill and tap the hole and make the bolt boss.

I do not have any M1.2 hex bolts so I used a flat head Philips head screw till the hex bolts arrive.

A brass pad will be between the adjuster bolt and the end of the axle to take up the gear thrust...just like the real one.

I was using an abrasive cutoff saw to trim the pieces from the hinge pin and I did not want it to drop off and get lost so I used a bushing on the bench that had been taped 6-40 to have a handle.

Well, the bushing got hot no surprise there but it started leaking oil. I did not know that they were Oilite bushings, I bought them surplus years ago and have used them on several projects. It is a good thing that I have always pressed them in a hole as silver solder is out of the question.

Cheers Bob and Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online Dan Rowe

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2022, 10:19:43 PM »
A bit more progress on this build, Bob remade the roof with oak to match the rest of the wood frame and the deck planking is going down.

I made a bending and drilling fixture for the truck here is the left side first bend.

I made a special stud to mount the pedestals with one end 6-40 to attach to the bearing and the other end 5-40 to bolt it to the fixture.

Here is the second bend of the arch bar.

Here are all the bars ready for drilling.

Here is a comparison of a 1907 truck in 7/8" scale and an 1880 truck in 1:20 scale. Now I remember why I like 7/8" scale....the parts are bigger and not so many tiny bolts.

Cheers Bob and Dan

« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:24:00 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan