Author Topic: S/N 10 Shay  (Read 18555 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: S/N 10 Shay
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 01:53:47 AM »
The only thing I can find similar is this:

It does show the two valves in the bottom diagram, only advantage I can see would be keeping the passages short in a very long cylinder like a riverboat one. Maybe Graham worked on a riverboat before moving to Ohio?!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 02:02:39 AM »
Chris yes I believe the double D valve is a variant of the long slide valve which was invented by William Murdoch in 1799.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_valve

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 11:33:24 PM »
This will be the first Shay that I will be using 3D for the whole project. I am still using 2D as I know the program I use really well and I know how to get the line weights set to make the drawing look good in print.

Here are the wood frame parts are shown exploded to show the wood construction details.

Here is the model frame in Bob's workshop.

Cheers Bob and Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 11:41:33 PM »
Great start on the free range steel (aka wood) parts!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 03:23:45 AM »
Dan......in reply message #8 [29/11]  shows another pair of 'steel?' structural rods....were these adjustable so as to act in tension?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 03:51:14 AM »
Derek, yes those are steel truss rods which is a standard Shay feature. The rod that ends at the frame is really a U shape that has both ends attached to a flange with 3 holes just below the frame. The center hole has a single rod that bends at the queen post and attaches to the other U rod wrapped around the other end of the frame.

This assembly is adjustable and will add to the bend in the middle of the frame. Early steel I beam frames had a similar detail. Later steel I beam frames have 5 separate rods per side, not the U system.

This will be a working assembly on the model so details will be covered in this thread.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 10:16:50 PM »
One of the first metal parts I made was the stake pockets. This was a fairly straight forward process. I worked out a set of lathe tools to make the details on a steel tube that I made for the work. I liked the profile so I used a slitting saw to cut it in half and make the rest of them.

Here they are with the backing plates ready for silver solder:

I bent a section of 2mm key stock and flattened the end and taped it for a 2-56 bolt for a hold down arm for my ceramic soldering plate.

I removed the middle section of the backing plate and filled the inside for the half round section of the maple posts.

I used a scrap piece of wood to clanp the piece and act as a drill guide to drill the holes for the U strap.

I made another drill guide to get the lower bolt holes in the correct location.

Here are photos of Bob adding them to the frame.

Now sure that all looks like it went to plan but I forgot to measure the height of the part and Bob noticed that things were not fitting correctly. After a long conversation over the telephone, I was looking at my drawing and Bob was looking at the real part. We finally worked out that someone had a bad day at the Loco Works and made the part too tall. Well, way too much work was done by Bob on the oak frame to start over so we had to come up with ways to fix the problem. 

I still have to figure out how I will get the steel truss rods past the extra long stake pocket as the stop piece for the truss rod was already installed which will be in the next post.

Cheers Bob and Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 10:52:21 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 11:39:37 PM »
Here is the photo with notes as to what I have decided to do with the visible frame details. The front of the loco is not in the photo so I just made front and back a mirror image.

The angle line is on the front and back truck and looks like it goes from the top bolster to the deck? I have no idea what it is for. The rest of the things except for the extra large hat rack will be used in the model and shown in detail as we get to the part.

The truss rod is a U section at the top of the frame so it needs a stop to keep it in place. The early steel frames had a similar U rod and a casting riveted to the I beam. Here is my take on the same part for a wood frame.

Here is Bob's shop work installing them flush with the top of the frame so the decking will cover the thin section.

Cheers Bob and Dan
ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2021, 12:19:52 AM »
Hi Dan,

That  'hat rack' is just like fittings I've seen on steam shovels and Lombards, its a hose hanger for water hoses used to draw water from creeks and ponds out in the woods to refill the feedwater tank.

Chris

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2021, 01:03:56 AM »
Hi Chris yes later Shays had a series of small hat racks on the left side that are attached to the running board brackets. These would hold a 2 or 3 inch hose to attach to the siphon which is really a steam injector. Here is the problem there is no reason to believe that this loco was equipped with a siphon.

I am thinking more of a rope hanger because of its size, but I do not know so I am leaving it off the model.

Duh: I forgot that the round thing between the water tank and the boiler on the deck looks a whole lot like a siphon. So yes they must have coiled the hose on a big hat rack to take on water.

Cheers Dan
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:43:40 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2021, 09:46:43 PM »
Here is the 2" siphon used on small Shays Lima card 11302.

I am planning a dummy casting to slip over the gas line to hide it in plain sight.

The photo of S/N 21 from the LEFT side is the earliest left side Shay photo I know of. There are a few key things for this build.

The bolts on the end timber made my decision to use them and the set of side bolts on the photo of S/N 10 as a timber brace rod. I simply flattened some fence wire for the two frame bolts and made a T section for the end timber.

Notice the truck pedestal bearing and the arch bars. They look just like a log truck arch bar and pedestal and are not offset like almost every other left side photo of a Shay I have ever seen.

This build will have that early feature so maybe someone will give the left side of a Shay a glance or two...if only to say 'hey that ain't right'.

Cheers Bob and Dan

« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:45:28 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2021, 10:48:01 PM »
That left view show the side opening of the siphon unit nicely. Also a clearer view of the boiler. Looks like the firebox is down between the frames, just above the rails? Behind it is another metal box, is that space for shoveling and raking, and to keep embers from falling out onto the rail bed? Also noticed the side to side angled rods/wires next to the light to brace the roof. Amazing what shows in the pictures.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2021, 10:51:05 PM »
The left side pic shows another box between the boiler and the water tank, above the siphon. Do you know what that is? Toolbox, condenser, giant lunchbox?

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2021, 11:14:08 PM »
Chris, yes I think you are correct although I had not worked it out that the siphon is vertical and we are looking at the hose connection. Normally the siphon is on its side attached to the left frame rail.

The firedoor is at the frame level or just below. There are no vertical boiler drawings available but catalog data states the number of tubes and the length of the tubes and that the boiler is a submerged tube type. That last bit took me a bit to figure out but the boiler has the upper tube sheet below the waterline so a rough estimate of the design is possible. There will be a submerged tube boiler on the model.

The box behind the boiler is wood I believe and the pit irons can be seen again. they are metal straps that support the pit floor and sidewalls. The fireman has to work the fire by standing in the pit and chunking logs in the firedoor.

Yes, we will have the little wire angle brace also. and the roof will have the same design.

The box between the water tank and the boiler is the sandbox.

Good eye Chris and thanks for working out what that round thing was. Seeing the siphon print vertical did not work for me as I already knew how a siphon was usually mounted.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal