Author Topic: Stuart triple handed pair  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Steamingandy

Stuart triple handed pair
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:58:30 PM »
Apologies for the piece of wood something more fitting to come
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgAAgHrEyU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgAAgHrEyU</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Stuart triple handed pair
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 11:09:03 PM »
They run beautifully!  Very well done!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 04:51:14 AM »
Not only are they beautiful engines, they run beautifully too! :ThumbsUp:
Thanks for posting the video.
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »
Nice.

I like how you have modified the base castings to hand them  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 08:13:54 AM »
A superb result not only in workmanship but in the running ability too. Who was it said a triple won't run on air ? Well you've proved them wrong for sure - twice over  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:.

A really terrific outcome that quantifies the patience required to complete such a task - congratulations are truly deserved

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Steamingandy

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 08:53:34 AM »
A superb result not only in workmanship but in the running ability too. Who was it said a triple won't run on air ? Well you've proved them wrong for sure - twice over  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:.

A really terrific outcome that quantifies the patience required to complete such a task - congratulations are truly deserved

Tug
Tug
Have a look at this, the timing is right and the valves have a small mod, this is running on just under 2bar and has about 15 minutes running so still tight
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPDFuwhKJWQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPDFuwhKJWQ</a>

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
Could you give a few more details of the alterations you made to the valves that you mentioned in the other thread and also what cylinder(s) the simpling valve sends HP air to? As it looks like it may be a 2 or 3 way valve

EDIT you beat me to it with a reply. Probably fair to say built to drawing they don't run well on air

Offline Steamingandy

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Could you give a few more details of the alterations you made to the valves that you mentioned in the other thread and also what cylinder(s) the simpling valve sends HP air to? As it looks like it may be a 2 or 3 way valve

EDIT you beat me to it with a reply. Probably fair to say built to drawing they don't run well on air
Jason
The springs are very light and just hold the valve against the ports,it makes so much difference
The simpling valve is a 5/2 exhaust from HP cylinder is opened to atmosphere and compressed air sent to IP cylinder

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 10:16:52 AM »
Great to see the video of these engines running excellently on air, ( which elsewhere I have heard can't be done!, ) thanks for the details of the mods, I have put a note with my castings..!  Dave

Offline Steamingandy

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »
Great to see the video of these engines running excellently on air, ( which elsewhere I have heard can't be done!, ) thanks for the details of the mods, I have put a note with my castings..!  Dave
It also helps to make the thread 4MM x 0.5mm you get finer tuning to within 0.010”

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 11:49:23 AM »
Thanks for the details, I was expecting you to have been playing about with lead and lap as well as the size of the valve cavity and maybe even the angle of the eccentrics but just a spring to ensure the valve stays in places the pressure drops along the engine

Offline Steamingandy

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 01:26:21 PM »
The engine was designed to run with the dimensions on the drawings, I made sure the valve ports are correct size and spacing, and the valves are made to drawings, it states on the drawings “if ports are not to drawing adjust valve size to suit “ something I think gets over looked.
I have keyed the eccentrics on the crankshaft it’s a reversing engine so just needs to be set equally to the crank web, then you only need to set the valve position

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 08:02:34 AM »
nicely running engines, bravo  !

clearly you show that they are using the 3 cylinders for the complete cycle, even with air, amazing !
the re-compression of the air by the piston could be higher than the air pressure in the "steam" chest ? hence the little springs ?

but for the condenser, steam is mandatory !!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Beautiful engines!

I think the phrase "all hands to stations for leaving harbour" is in your future!  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal