Author Topic: 4 jaw Bernerd 34M for Myford 7  (Read 941 times)

Offline petertha

4 jaw Bernerd 34M for Myford 7
« on: November 21, 2021, 06:23:06 PM »
A friend of mine acquired this chuck & he is looking for information. Does anyone have any web links / catalog type specs or even useful comments? Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the back side, but its direct threaded (to Myford ML7 spindle as per the stamping). I Googled a bit on model 34M but didn't see many direct hits. Most appear to be other flavors; either separate backplates or front bolts or the body seems thicker.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 4 jaw Bernerd 34M for Myford 7
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:31:42 PM »
Yet another company that went through bankruptcies and takeovers, currently there is a USA based company that has taken over the name, you could try contacting them for information on that chuck:
https://prattburnerd.com/

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:42:55 PM »
Bottom of document page 32 lists the part number for the chuck as well as spares, date info on the first few pages

http://www.rotagriponline.com/datasheets/Pratt/PrattChuckSpares.pdf

If you ask on ME forum there are a lot more Myford owners there who may be able to shed more light.

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 06:48:02 PM »
I bought one of these with my Myford Super 7. It threads directly on the spindle nose so that no backplate is needed, minimising the overhang and maximising the rigidity.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 08:53:33 AM »
I also have one of these very good Burnerd 4 jaw chucks which are directly threaded for the Myford spindle nose: also a Burnerd "Griptrue" 3 jaw that is similarly threaded without a subsidiary backplate. When I bought them new, in the mid 1970's, the 4 jaw was £18.50 and the Griptrue was £31  .  The sheer quantity of Myford lathes in use must have made it a proposition to produce the internally threaded bodies rather than the more usual backplate only chucks. Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal