Help! > Machines, Tools and Fixtures

Precision Lathe

<< < (11/11)

GWRdriver:
I had the same thought, about the lack of mentions of Cowells machines.   I have owned two Cowells of 1980s vintage, the ME90 90mm standard lathe, and the CW90 which is their clock/watchmakers version.  White both these lathes are robust, superbly made, and superbly finished, due to being accustomed to larger conventional lathes I found the ME90 to be difficult to use, in part as Jo mentions, because there's a lot of winding.  I also found the ME90 to be under-powered, or at least unable to transmit the full power of its motor through plastic change-belts.  Replacing belts did little to improve the situation and I no longer own that machine.

The CW90 with Thyristor (variable) drive was (is) equally well made, and IMHO is a considerable improvement over the typical WW-style jeweler's/watchmaker's lathe (such as a Boley.).  A WW-style lathe isn't for everyone of course, but I find them useful for detail parts.  The CW90 accepts WW-style tooling but is substantial enough to support conventional lathe tooling, a 3-jaw chuck for instance, providing it's proportionately small.  They are designed for high speeds so spindle-mounted mass must be kept small.

--- Quote from: Jo on November 21, 2021, 04:48:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flyboy Jim on November 21, 2021, 04:03:39 PM ---PS: I haven't seen any mention of Cowells lathes in this conversation. Other than what Jo and Bill Lindsey have talked theirs, I know nothing about them.

--- End quote ---
There used to be a rather long waiting list for a new Cowells lathe, I think Bill mentioned he managed to get his within 6 months of the original order :thinking: They are a very, very nice little lathe  :Love: Little C gets regularly used. Its another of those lathes where the saddle is "fixed" on the lead screw so there can be a lot of winding to move the carriage anywhere.
Jo
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version