Author Topic: Sexy's new friend  (Read 6879 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Sexy's new friend
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »
The motor, like the capstan attachment, are yet to be painted  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline mikecole7

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »
Your lathe looks to be the same principle as the Britan lathe, I served my apprenticeship at Britan's, mainly milling and grinding.

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 06:58:48 PM »
That recovery job is coming along very nicely Jo and imagine it will soon be working along with all of your other personalised tools.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »
Hi Mike, yes the capstan tailstock is very much like you get on a Britan  :ThumbsUp:

I've been quietly making swarf in the background. Doing a bit of offset drilling/boring  :) Fitting bearings and finally I have a countershaft assembly.

The next job is to decide where I want the shaft to run. Traditionally it runs above the motor but to do this means the motor pulley would hang off the edge of my mounting board  :thinking: The other option is to turn it round and mount the motor further over or there is a third option   :noidea:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2021, 08:51:41 PM »
I often find that I use much more time to contemplate all the possible solutions, and their pros and cons, than actually putting pen to paper and finish the drawings - or the similar actions in the workshop etc.

... and often I only find the optimum solution after a few different builds - no matter what kind of project ...
Sometimes a good number of the options can be shot down, by a good partner in crime - but in this case I do not have any experience .... so hopefully somebody else here can chime in  :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2021, 09:13:48 PM »
I would think having the motor off to the left would be better, keeps it out of the way of flying chips/oil better, and you could build a shield for the motor and belts easier over there.

Can the motor also go down under the table top so the intermediate pulleys are level with the axis of the headstock?

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2021, 11:13:32 PM »
The original AC motor I had on my Taig lathe was mounted in a position similar to your last photo. Mostly that was OK, but there were times when it was just in the way. I'm happy that it is no longer there.
Regards,
Ron

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2021, 07:39:11 AM »
Thanks Guys  :)

The headstock on this Schaublin requires the belt to feed from above or to the rear (other headstocks are available which feed from below). It would be possible to mount the motor slightly below as the Cowells Lathe does but I intend on mounting the lathe on that board so it can put on a "household table top" with the thought it could be put away but I will not be able to lift it ::) .

Thanks Ron, the third option is to turn the motor round - this is looking like the favoured choice: This will allow the motor to sit behind the headstock with the primary belt behind the swarf throwing zone. Thankfully because the motor is three phase it is easy to reverse its direction if required.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2021, 09:30:49 AM »
Thanks Guys  :)

The headstock on this Schaublin requires the belt to feed from above or to the rear (other headstocks are available which feed from below). It would be possible to mount the motor slightly below as the Cowells Lathe does but.............................

I would have thought it is only the layshaft that needs to be mounted to suit the flat belt, the motor could be on the floor if need be.

But understand you wanting it all on a board, a lower table and some feet on the board would allow the motor to go below and the layshaft above while maintaining the same working height.

Though I don't really see the problem about the motor pulley overhanging the base board so would fit it that way round or get a bigger bit of board.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 09:41:00 AM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
If it was my intention to permanently mount it on a table I would use the spare microscope table I have and then yes I could cut holes in the top but I am planning to use it on an existing household table. Yes one could slide the dining table apart and dangle the motor where the leaves go but that is missing the point: I am putting together a standard Schaublin bench top arrangement.

Next job: layshaft mounting bracket  :)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2021, 03:15:09 PM »
I found a nice big thick piece of ali for the holding bracket. Then I started drawing out the options....

Long term I would like a foot and flange mounting motor and mount the feet on the base and the bracket on the flange and pivot on the mounting bolts. The available motors vary a bit but most have a 80mm flange and 100mm PCD mounting screw holes. The issue is that some have the connection box on the top rather than the side/end, which means they are about 50mm taller  :facepalm: Having drawn this out the minimum distance I could get away with was actually the maximum length I could get out of my bit of Ali  :)

As I do not have a foot/flange mounting motor (yet) in the meantime I would need to mount the bottom of the bracket on a bracket of its own. I started by drilling the four mounting holes for the layshaft and boring through for the eccentric. Next I need to drill and tap the four holes on the cast iron mounting flange...

Stop press/work: There is a possibility of a (free) motor with foot/flange mounting.... photos to follow, or so I have been told  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »
Looking good Jo.  Nice of you to bring the high end little Swiss tools together.

I've got two 70's myself and a big project this year has been a complete reconditioning a 3rd beater 70 I rescued.  There some content on this page, but the posting hasn't l kept up to the project progress...its almost done

https://www.metallum.shop/reconditioning-a-schaublin-70/
(there's separate links for headstock, tailstock, etc

I spent last weekend on a Rube Golgberg set up to grind the spindle taper.  I've also got another on deck with the drive you have shown in post 31 if you need any dimensions/photos.

I also built the two stage drive shown below for use with the under bench drive style of Schuablin 70.  It could adapted to use above for the style of lathe you have.  Its accomplishments are a two stage drive (great range), quick adjustment via t slots for both belts and a single lever and toggle that tensions/loosens both belts

The two stage is imo the way to go.  VFD's are not great for speed reduction (they give constant torque, what you want is constant HP...i.e. more torque at lower speeds).  The lathe has a DC motor and speed controller but it performs better with a belt change, especially from high to low range.

Anyway, nice seeing another one put back into service

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 06:55:41 PM by Mcgyver »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2021, 09:36:40 PM »
Thanks Mcgyver, I've just had a nose through your pages on restoring your 70. I noticed a few differences  :thinking: The headstock bearings on Schoey are just like the ones on the BCA headstock: You fit a shim in the slit on the side of the bearing to limit how far it shrinks down when you tighten up the headstock adjuster nuts.

There was two 70's where I picked up Schoey from, I had the choice of this one takes W12 collets the other one F type. As I wanted compatibility with Sexy I opted for the one that uses W12s, which is this second operation lathe (= levers rather than spindles everywhere). The great thing about lever fed lathes is they are either very tired from working hard on a production line or, like this one, do not show any wear on any of the slides and all of the original scraping is still immaculate  ;D Ok so the bed was abused when it was left outside in the rain  :hammerbash: to get rusty  :Mad: at some point in its life. But other than needing to be level - its not a sliding surface.

I do rather like the Schaublin Service manual and the way it provides dimensioned drawings of all the parts allowing you to make any replacement you may need  :ThumbsUp:

I have seen photos of the "other motor"  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2021, 03:33:06 PM »
I have decided to continue with this motor until I pick up the other. (It is currently on a pillar drill and the drill itself looks useful  :thinking: )

I now have a bracket on which to hang the countershaft. We are getting nearer to being able to actually run Schoey  :)

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2021, 10:27:24 AM »
I can report that Schoey's new motor assembly allows her to go round and round  :cartwheel: I had a bit of fun with the Chinese VFD setting up the remote pendant because I wrongly understood some of the instructions  :Doh:

While I continue replacing the various screws that have damaged heads I decided that really all that is preventing me from trying her out was a tool holder so a quick trip to my supplier (and a vast escape of moths  :ShakeHead: ) who came up with a lovely little Multifix for her  8)

I foolishly enquired about the missing headstock lever feed and borrowing a spare spindle to act as a master when cutting some back plates... So yes a lever feed for the headstock, actually lots of lever feed handles for the headstock, a spare tailstock and two headstocks :headscratch: One heads stock needs stripping and binning as the casting is damaged. Then I need to start giving away the head stock lever feed hands to any one who ventures into the workshop (hopefully someone can come up with a use for these other than being able to claim they have a piece of a schaublin  ::) ). The only bit with possibly any value is the complete tailstock  :thinking:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal