Author Topic: Sexy's new friend  (Read 6873 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Sexy's new friend
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2021, 04:29:01 PM »
460, 780, 1320, 1850, 3100 & 5300 RPM  ::)

For the 10 or so threads I normally add on the end of a stud I use a mandrel handle on Little C, this one has a headstock handwheel.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 01:26:26 PM »
Next challenge I need some sort of belt tensioning mechanism and the OME one looks rather effective  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 09:57:32 PM »
Even though you aren't completely finished with the motor - I bet that it felt good to see it move when you pressed that button  ;D

I would have said that your wiring should be OK - but you might need locking fluid or similar to prevent future disasters .... UPS - just had another look and now I see that there are locking tabs (just not engaged yet).

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 05:54:59 PM »
Nice quiet old motor, no wobble, should work nicely. :popcorn:

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 07:07:24 PM »
So, with that inverter Jo, it seems only professional people can go wining (and presumable dining).  Does that mean the non-professionals have to stick with beer?  Or gin?

Now this thread has me confused - easily done these days I'd admit - on the gender convention re workshop machines.  Now ships, I know, are always a very female she, as are cars.  But what is the convention on lathes?  And on milling machines?

I ask as my elderly German Weiler lathe doesn't know whether to be called Weilma or Weilhem.  It needs sorting, and correctly, as we don't do this new-fangled transgender stuff in my workshop, we are all far too old for all that nonsense. :old:

Chris

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2021, 07:42:51 PM »
Now this thread has me confused - easily done these days I'd admit - on the gender convention re workshop machines.  Now ships, I know, are always a very female she, as are cars.  But what is the convention on lathes?  And on milling machines?

The old rule was anything with character that needed treating well to perform was given a female gender. I use the masculine for Sexy  :Love: and Mr Silky  :Love:   Other than Mr Silky none of my Machines have been given gendered names  :thinking:

I suspect there are a few lathe's whose given names imply their parents are yet to marry  :lolb:

Jo

P.S. In my dim and distant past I did get recognised qualifications for Electrical Engineering  :old:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »
elderly German Weiler lathe

Now I get nostalgic .... I learned to Turn on a big Weiler and I have never been anywhere near any other lathe in that quality range since - what a dream of a lathe to use  :Love:

Per

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2021, 08:08:44 PM »
Even with ships it can be confusing - one (of many) cases:  the USS George Washington aircraft carrier. He was a he but the ship is a she?  :shrug:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2021, 09:10:07 PM »
So you're saying the the US Navy got into LBGTQ+ long before anybody else  >:D

I can think of the World Famous USS Nimitz (the movie Top Gun) ....

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2021, 09:43:13 PM »
"The old rule was anything with character that needed treating well to perform was given a female gender".

In that case Jo, Weilma it is.

Weilma had a hard lfe before she met me Per, but she still performs good work, does all I want her to, and I wouldn't want nor need to swap her just yet  :LittleAngel:

Chris

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »
She's going back together. I will replace any bent/damaged bits as I go

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
That's a lot darker than I thought it was going to be, the post seems to have gone where you said the same colour as the rectilinea and that would have matched the motor :headscratch: More a panzer Grey than battleship.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2021, 01:59:26 PM »
Post 22 I mentioned being talked into doing her Blue-grey  ::)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2021, 04:24:07 PM »
A bit more assembly completed. Enough to clear my central bench of her bits  :)

There are still a few of the stops whose knurls look like they have been abused which will require to be replaced. I will also be adding the locks nuts which if they were still there would have meant there was no need to abuse the knurls on the screws. The most annoying thing of the afternoon was when I found the cross slide lever mount had been attached using M4 screws - in 4.5 threaded holes. M4.5 is one of the few dies I do not have so one is ordered and I hope to get it early next week

The tailstock stop is missing and I will be making a new one. I suspect people have been using the little flat on the side of the lever to stop against  :ShakeHead: not realising that was there for the lever to stop on the other side of the missing distance stop. I've just spotted another screw is still missing there  :wallbang:

I also tried putting the capstan tailstock on her to find the odd shaped bits that go into the bed to clamp it in place are a bit wide and replacements will be needed. Also for the hex headed cam screws which look like they have been chewed  :headscratch:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
I like the colour - looks good (thought it doesn't match the motors 'green') ....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal