Author Topic: Sexy's new friend  (Read 7150 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Sexy's new friend
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 01:01:36 PM »
It's got to be Lexey or (Lexie) to go with Sexy.

Are you going for that nice shade of green that they did them in?

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 03:00:56 PM »

Name wise I have considered: Sira, Sylvette & Sylviane but currently "Schoey" is winning out  :thinking:

Well, if you're sloshing 'Battleship Grey' all over it might I suggest 'Scharnhorst'   :headscratch:

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 05:18:50 PM »
I have a very good reason not to pick that one Dave :hellno:

End of the day: lots of bits, many primed, all cleaned and the postits indicate the bits that need replacing. I have to decide how much filling and sanding I want to do  :thinking: before more painting   :-\

Jo

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 05:51:25 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 07:52:16 PM »
Deserves the chips filling and then a  coat of good machine enamel which should flow out to a nice smooth finish and will resist oil and use better than your average spray can.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 09:06:53 PM »
Another nice tool acquisition, Jo!
Looks like she'll clean up into a nice little lathe.

Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2021, 11:29:35 PM »
Looking at Swiss girls names beginning with S....and knowing that she was loving constructed by the trolls of the black forest.might I suggest

Slyvette      ( mean " From the forest")

...just a thought
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 05:26:41 AM »
Oh, I like that one Dave!
Or even Sylvia, without the 'ette' diminutive?
Just another one to throw on the pile of possiblities.

Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 07:44:49 AM »
I fear Schoey may have stuck  :facepalm:

Discussions with my Supplier has lead me to invest in some of the correct colour paint, so she is going to be the standard RAL 7031 Blue-Grey. It will make her look a little younger than her actual age, without pretending she is a Spring Chicken with the (RAL 6011) Green  ::)

The paint is going to take about a week to get here so it seems I have plenty of time to make replacements for the damaged bits. I still struggle with this idea of "plenty of time" it never seems to happen   :headscratch:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2021, 04:48:56 PM »
While I have a lovely NEW  Brooks-Crompton 1/6th HP 3 ph motor I have been instructed I need a 1/3rd HP one. I have a 1/3rd HP one that came off of my Power Hacksaw but having taken the cover off I found three terminals not six  :wallbang:  Checking on the plate  :Doh: STAR... Time to go fishing.

Other end of the motor on the outside and look at that  :thinking: a suspicious bit of sleeving over something. Cutting the sleeving off I found the Star point  :pinkelephant: Having separated out the wires, buzzed them out  :ThumbsUp: soldered on a nice High voltage extension and tied the new wires in, with supplier approved heat shrink.

I need to sort out some new terminals now for the other end but yes they still all buzz out so looking hopeful.

As Schoey is going to live inside she needs a VFD and today this has arrived:  its far eastern in origin and cheap as chips. Reading the warning label does not inspire me to think the instructions may be intelligible. I really love programming these things :paranoia:

Jo
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 08:00:38 PM by Jo »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2021, 07:37:37 PM »
 :)   soon be making swarf :ThumbsUp:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2021, 07:40:40 PM »
Jo,
Did you secretly open the shell to find the high pressure?   Only professionals can carry on, after all! ::)

That's pretty funny.

Good luck with it!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2021, 02:57:32 PM »
I decided not to install three extra terminals but to bring out three leads and then connect them to the next pin along to form the delta connection.

I know the wiring is not complete and is still DANGEROUS but I am waiting for the mains isolation switch to arrive. In the meantime having connected it to the Chinese box:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGC-TwEtrQU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGC-TwEtrQU</a>

Yes it runs and provides speed control  8) No the screen does not flash it is a function of the camera  :headscratch: Before I get in trouble: I have since this video added a Pclip to hold the 3ph wire and will do the same to the mains input once I have included the two pole Emergency off/isolation switch in circuit.

I am concerned that having turned the inverter off and unplugged it the screen was still on  :o So I tried turning the motor on while the LED screen was still alight and yes it ran the motor for a couple of seconds before stopping  :paranoia: and the LEDs on the screen going out. This tells me there are some large capacitors inside which I will need to be wary of  :zap:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2021, 03:17:29 PM »
That's a nice gentle start.

Will you tend to leave it in the middle pully position and just use the VFD for speed changes?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »
No I will be using the pulleys. Speed control on such a small machine is a bit pointless. What you really need is a range of speeds rather than variability.

I still have to work out the pulley mechanism. The original one includes a clutch :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2021, 03:49:44 PM »
I thought it might be nice to be able to drop down to about 100rpm for threading with a die for all those studs in your future which is mostly what I use the low end of my speed range for.

What will be the three speeds you end up with?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal