Author Topic: Who has a Shaper? Your thoughts on it?  (Read 2983 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Who has a Shaper? Your thoughts on it?
« on: November 02, 2021, 10:29:28 PM »
A shaper is one of those machines that I have always felt that I wanted.  But do I need one? They go for good money in my area.  If they were reasonably priced, I would already have one.

If you own one, do you use it much?  What is a good size for this hobby? What advantages does it have over other machines in your shop?

Any thoughts on them?

Thanks,
Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Who has a Shaper? Your thoughts on it?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 01:45:22 AM »
I do!

Do I need it? probably not but I do enjoy it. It is a 7" Ammco which is pretty much the baby of the shaper range. I cut a steel rack gear for my PM research arbor press a while back, that was a fun little project.
Shapers have gotten crazy expensive around here in the NW too. I think all the You tube videos have increased their popularity.
My buddy has a 12" Sheldon which is a more capable machine, but it is easier to shoehorn a 7" in the shop somewhere. I got lucky on mine it is in very nice shape with original paint. I cleaned it up real good and polished the bright work, also added the Delta lamp that was missing and a period correct toggle switch.

In the photo you can see a fixture plate that I have added (I have the vise too), haven't used the plate yet but I think that it will come in handy some day.

Dave

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 02:29:53 AM »
Dave,  I like your fixture plate.  Great idea.

I have an Ammco just like yours, except I have no belt guards.

Like you said:  I don't need it but it is fun and it will really lay down a nice finish.

Chuck

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 03:16:41 AM »
Have two; a 1953 24 inch Cincinnati and a 1943 24 inch Cincinnati universal. Not what you would call 'hobby size'. They are pretty cheap when you buy in bulk; basically the going price for iron scrap. Even so, the applications scale somewhat down to the bench top shapers. Great for slabbing blocks and generating planer surfaces with inexpensive cutting tools. The hobbyist might be able to re-sharpen the end of a endmill, but the side cutting flutes are often beyond their ability unless they happen to have a tool & cutter grinder. But if you can sharpen a lathe tool bit, you can re-sharpen the tools for your shaper with nothing more than a bench grinder. So for additional effort in setup and grinding a tool bit, you can save wear and tear on you more expensive rotary cutters. The downside is while you are in the milling machine milling away with your more expensive rotary cutters, you can also be drilling and boring holes in the same workpiece setup. You cannot drill holes in a shaper. You can accidently punch holes, but that is not within the manufacturer's design intent. I think it is that extra versatility of the milling machine that allowed it to supplant shapers and planers. (Yes, have a planer too.)

The first picture shows the knee for a Bridgeport mill being mounted in the place of the shaper's box table to re-cut the dovetail surfaces. The knee was 25 inch long and the 24 inch shaper would actually stroke 25-1/4 inch. Back in the days when you got a little more than advertised. The shaper had been initially bought to cut some large sections of gear rack for a water mill sluice gate project, which paid for the shaper (with delivery). Since then its only cost has been the floor space it takes up. It is one of those things that now might get used once a year, but then comes in very handy. Use it to prep blocks of flame cut or perhaps alloy steel that tend to wear out the HSS rotary cutters because of scale or are hard on the carbide inserts due to vibration. The HSS tool bit wears out quickly, but is easy to re-sharpen. (Carbide lathe bits do not work well in shapers and planers in my experience.)

The second came along even cheaper, and was bought on the assumption the universal box could be removed and placed on the first shaper, which as it came out of the RCA prototype shops, was in practically unworn condition. The remainder would be scrapped. However Cincinnati built their universal shapers on the next bigger standard shaper casting (28 inch in this case) for additional rigidity due to the lack of outboard support of the box. Live and learn. So it got placed out in a shed and is run off an extension cord. In the photo, in is knocking the corners off a trunnion axle (winged gudgeon for a water mill shaft).

-Doug

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:21:44 AM by Elam Works »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:41 AM »
I had a 4" shaper for over 20 years used it rarely. Needing space for another machine tool I had to admit to myself that it was not worth the space it took up.

No one wanted to buy it so I stripped it for bits, buried the heavy bits I could not move  :-X The Box bed now get used very often and you will often see it in my threads. I still have my little hand shaper and that comes out every now and then if I need an accurate bit of needle filing  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
A shaper is one of those machines that I have always felt that I wanted.  But do I need one?

haha, if need matter we'd not have shops and be watching sports or the Kardashians lol.

great photos Doug.  Big shapers are really big.  I remember a 36" GE at a place, it was like that feeling I get standing beside a locomotive.  Just slightly intimidating. 

I'd like one if I ever get out of Dodge and get a big country shop, until then, space (fortunately the wife says) constrains me.  I had a little Atlas I spruced up a few years ago.  Was kind of NOS, no reconditioning required.  Just needed paint and missing pieces.  An old boy had taken it apart to get it in the basement, never used it or reassembled and lost several pieces including the base casting (how one does that is a mystery).  Through ebay and some of my own manufacturing I got it back to full operation included a hand planed maple table top and cast iron legs I brought in for it. Sure looked pretty.

For me, that size was too small, at least two small when you also have some mills.  I think with a larger one I'd be turning to it for its low cost, high removal rate.  However I couldn't justify the space for the little one given there's a horizontal and vertical mill available

Offline john mills

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:44:10 AM »
I still have some of the 1/2"HSS i used in the larger shapper and 3/8" tools used to use the larger one would have been more than 24"
stroke at least because the parts were 24"long there was a smaller machine but you would remove more metal with a file they were all discarded long time ago the space could be used for much more useful vertical milling machines and CNC machines with were much more
productive the mid size machines could be quite useful if in reasonable condition .most i got to use were not that good  but could cut metal we mainly machined tool steels .i did use one at a friends place which was like new that would do good work it was a good sized machine .bigger than you might won't but small machines
the space could be better used with a milling machine.unless you have the room for both.
John   

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 05:44:46 PM »
I have a Southbend 7" shaper. Like most everyone else who has replied I rarely use it as I have a milling machine next to it which usually gets the job.

You cannot drill holes in a shaper.

This is true but if you drill a hole with a different machine the inside of the hole can be machined on a shaper with a boring bar held in a right angle holder. You can not make an internal spline or an internal gear on a milling machine.

You can also use a shaper to generate a gear. I used a Sherline headstock in the vise to hold the blank. I attached a disk with the diameter of the pitch circle to the back end of the headstock. I wrapped a wire around the disk and attached one end of the wire to one wall of the shop and the other end to the other end of the shop. Now as the table is moved the gear blank moves exactly like it was driven by a gear. The cutter is ground like a single tooth in a rack and as the table moves the cutter generates a proper gear. I forgot about indexing I also had a gear with the same number of teeth on the back of the headstock with a simple index pin.

Here is an article with drawings for a shaper gear generating attachment.
http://neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/Michael_Moore/shaper%20gear%20cut.pdf

Here is a link to the manual for a Southbend shaper which shows some setups that would be hard to do with a milling machine.
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/4573.pdf

Cheers Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »
I had a7" Ammco...great machine and I wish I didn't sell it...but I had to to make room for a mill.  If you have the space and cash they are great for flat surfaces....but slow
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 09:10:02 PM »
I turned down Jo's offer to purchase her almost complete Elliot shaper from her but purchased an 8" Boxford instead.

Don't use it too much but gives a great finish when I do and the tooling is relatively simple to grind to suit the application.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 09:28:30 PM »
Thank you everyone for your replies.

It is kinda of like I suspected, neat machine, can do some odd jobs, but it doesn’t get used much.  I can’t really justify spending what the going price is around here.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 09:51:54 PM »
Just an "outside the box thinking" idea - It may be possible to build a compact shaper to be driven from the lathe. It could be arranged as a small direct drive setup mounted /clamped to the bed, or as a standalone "shelf mount" or "table mount" setup driven by a belt from a pulley in the chuck.

Doing it this way, the footprint / machine size and weight would be far less than a standalone floor mount shaper. You would still get all the nifty ops / simple tooling and other benefits of a shaper. Shaper's machine elements are relatively simple to make and as such would not take a lot of time or $ to make. The lathe's speed control and motor are used, giving a good powerful motion source without needing another motor and associated wiring and controls. The machine if direct drive / bed mount would be compact and easily removeable for storage when not in use.

Just food for thought - I am sure this is not a new idea at all, probably has been done. There have been articles and ads for every other kind of add on machine for the lathe, over the years.  I've been mulling this sort of add-on shaper over for a while, and will probably whip up something when I retire.  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 02:34:39 AM »
Can't add much to this conversation as everything I know about shapers I learned in tech school in 1981-2. But you can do things like internal keyways and all the other things that have been mentioned.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 05:40:41 PM »
This was done on a 7" Rhoades, wish I had a 12". Also have an original Aamco shaper cabinet.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
Nice, how did you index it?

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal