Author Topic: Horizontal Air Cooled Engine  (Read 19386 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Horizontal Air Cooled Engine
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2021, 03:25:52 AM »
Brian,
Everything looks good! Glad you built some flex room in the bracket. The two bearings with the spacer reminds me of my motorcycle's front hub.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline mnay

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2021, 04:27:19 PM »
Great job.  I am following with great interest.
Mike

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2021, 05:02:25 PM »
This morning I cut keyways in both flywheels and the crankshaft. I fabricated a fan, silver soldered it to the fan hub, and installed the fan and hub in the fan housing. (It is now centered in the housing). We got about 8" of new snow last night in Barrie.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2021, 06:44:52 PM »
Some of that snow spilled over across Lake Ontario, but its the scale version, only 1/8" down here.

:popcorn:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2021, 08:58:32 PM »
And I think this is it!! I machined the valves this afternoon and I  don't think there is anything left to machine. I'm waiting for a piloted counterbore to come in from my supplier so I can finish up the valve cage counterbores in the cylinder head. I have to build some kind of starter hub, and maybe some kind of take-off pulley to attach to the offside flywheel. I have left the "handles" on the valves so I have something to grip when I lap the valve faces into the valve cages.---and oh Yes---I have to make rings.---Cast iron rings.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2021, 03:07:25 PM »
This is shaping up to being a "no machining day". However, I have modelled a starter hub to one side of the engine and a power take-off pulley to the other side. I might get a chance to machine them today, but I have a lot of "Honey Do" things to look after.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2021, 01:15:45 AM »
Today was not one of my stellar days. I machined the drive hub and the power take off pulley, and they turned out well. They are held onto the flywheels by four #4-40 socket head capscrews. Drilling the four holes in the starter side flywheel went well. Tapping the first flywheel hole went well. Tapping the second hole didn't. I broke the tap off flush with the surface of the flywheel. After repeated tries to get the broken tap out, I went across town to my tool shop and bought two new taps, two new drills and two 1/16" diameter center cutting carbide endmills. On arriving home, I discovered that my newest Diana Gabbeldon book had arrived, so I made an executive decision to read for the rest of the day. Something of interest--that #4 hand tap and it's drill are about 13 years old, and gets used fairly often. I measured the drill, and it measures at 0.088" diameter. the man who sold me the new taps and drills said that the standard tap drill for a #4-40 bolt is 0.094" diameter.---Who knew--

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2021, 01:50:19 AM »
The charts I use show the smaller drill size for brass/etc, the larger for steel...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2021, 03:23:27 PM »
Once again the old and arthritic have defeated the powers of darkness. It cost me a 13 year old #4-40 tap and a new 1/16" carbide endmill, but in the end the broken tap was removed and the hole was rethreaded at the correct size. (on #4 taps, that trick actually works about one time out of three for me.) So, the engine now has a starter hub on one side and a power take-off pulley on the other.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2021, 06:25:18 PM »
The engine is almost fully assembled. I had trouble with the first cylinder head, so had to machine a second one. The engine is pretty well finished except for "tidy up" and cosmetic stuff. I'm not sure you can see it, but the camshaft gear ended up hanging below the baseplate by about 0.020", so I've had to epoxy a pair of filler plates on the bottom of the base to raise everything so the gear doesn't rub on the table top. This was an easy change to the engine plans, I just made the base out of 5/8" stock rather than 3/8" thick. I didn't want to remake the baseplate, so the filler plates will do for me---I have to tidy them up to match the contours of the engine base. The only remaining things to be made are the cast iron piston rings.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2021, 02:32:50 PM »
Does anyone have a source for 1/4"-32 Helicoils? I've managed to bugger up the threads in my sparkplug hole in the aluminum cylinder head. There is a considerable amount of time and work involved in making these heads, and I don't want to scrap this one. My options are #1--Find someone who manufactures a sparkplug with a 5/16" thread---(That would be my absolute best option)---Or find a source for 1/4"-32 Helicoils,----Or ---Make my own sparkplug with a 5/16" thread. I have made my own sparkplug before, but I don't really want to. Thank You----Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2021, 02:42:49 PM »
Something more--There are manufacturers of M8 metric sparkplugs, which are very close to 5/16".  M8 is 0.315" diameter.  5/16" is 0.312" diameter. Perhaps my easiest fix here is to buy an M8 sparkplug and an M8 tap. They seem to be readily available on the internet.

Offline Rick Doane

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2021, 03:23:38 PM »
Hello Brian:

I have some that are made by Recoil in Australia.  Size UNEF 1/4-32, P/N: 34040-32, and uses a 6.5mm drill.  I looked on Travers but they did not list this size.  It may be worth a call to them.  If all else fails, I would be happy to send you a couple via USPS.

Regards....Rick

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2021, 04:08:06 PM »
Thanks for the kind offer Rick, but tomorrow when the stores are open I'm going to chase some more information on an M8 sparkplug.---Brian

Offline Rick Doane

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal