Author Topic: Horizontal Air Cooled Engine  (Read 19381 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Horizontal Air Cooled Engine
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2021, 07:31:16 PM »
Today I finished and mounted the bracket which supports the rocker arms, and finished and mounted the bar which the cooling fan will mount to. The cylinder head is finished except for some cosmetic work.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »
I have scrapped the old "Rupnow Engine" that I built about 10 years ago, and am gradually salvaging the parts. I have two bronze flywheels that are the right diameter, and I'm thinking of salvaging the outer rims  and turning new aluminum centers. I have never made solid flywheels with no holes in them, and I'm thinking of doing that. Many of the old hit and miss water cooled engines had solid webs in the flywheels---I remember. If I don't like them I can always add holes in the webs later. What do you think?

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
I like the looks of the parts you have made so far  :ThumbsUp:
So for the rest - do what pleases you  :cheers:

Per

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
I've decided I don't care that much for the solid flywheel web. I have an idea that is easy to machine and makes the flywheel action more visible as they turn. I think this will be what the finished flywheels look like.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »
Today was intake and exhaust day. I had just enough brass around the shop to make these two assemblies. I have to go buy some more 1/2" diameter brass rod to make tappet guides and valve cages with. All or at least most of the brass will get polished as I get deeper into this engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2021, 06:22:50 PM »
The morning was spent cutting out the centers of the brass flywheels on the old Rupnow Engine to give me two nice outer rims for my new flywheels, and cutting two aluminum centers from a piece of 3 1/2" diameter aluminum that I had left over from another project. I still have miles to go before I sleep, but so far things are looking good.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2021, 09:18:30 PM »
Today I did something for the very first time!!! Those reliefs in the face of each flywheel are 3/16" deep, and they have a 1/8" radius in the corners. I have always known that there should be  radius there. I know the whole tune about sharp inside corners causing stress risers and are more apt to fracture in use. It's just that I never actually did it before. I have about 40 engines running just fine without a radius in the corners of the flywheels. Today I actually ground an HSS tool and machined the radius.  The outer brass rims are loctited to the inner aluminum flywheel body (That's why they look dirty--that dirt will all come off with a "clean up" pass in the lathe.) Drilling and reaming the center hole for the shaft is one of the last things I will do.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
The flywheels are finished except for keyways, and I like this new variation on round holes cut in the webs. This gives the flywheels an interesting look, and it will still make it highly visible when they are rotating under power.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2021, 09:32:49 PM »
Thats a good look on the flywheels.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2021, 10:38:32 PM »
Brian,
Those are some nice looking flywheels. I like the slots in them.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »
The flywheels are very interesting looking, Brian.  Kind of like an inverse spoke or something :)

Kim

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2021, 01:22:02 AM »
 Just catching up here...

A very nice design Brian! Very appealing to the eye. It's kind of nice seeing something different with the flywheels as well.
  :popcorn:

John

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2021, 01:29:31 AM »
Thanks John--I've built so many engines over the last 12 or 13 years that I'm always looking for a way to make them a bit different and more interesting. I'm not really interested in building something with multiple cylinders, so I try to do something a bit different with every engine I design now. I really like the looks of this new engine.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2021, 04:48:04 PM »
I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning preparing blanks for my 20 and 40 tooth gears, and sawing a slab of 1144 stress-proof steel from the round to make a crankshaft. These are all somewhat brainless operations, but they have to be done, and they take time. The gear blanks are finished outside diameter, thickness, hub diameter and bore, but the hub is a couple of inches too long, which gives me something to grip in the 3 jaw chuck on my rotary table while the teeth are being cut. This over-length hub will be cut off after all of the gear teeth are cut.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2021, 09:33:04 PM »
Now I've got to ask---Is that a beautiful thing, or is that a beautiful thing!! Both gears turned out fine, the large gear fits into the cavity prepared for it in the base, and they mesh just the way they are supposed to. I always feel good when I've cut a pair of gears and they turn out the way I had hoped for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal