Author Topic: just joined  (Read 1220 times)

Offline ackers

just joined
« on: October 21, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
Hello everybody, new member 'ackers' introducing myself. Here is a brief resume of my activities. My main interest is in spark ignition i.c. engines and accessories. I am not a prolific builder; my main output is a scratch-built 5-cylinder radial aero engine, 25cc total displacement, to my own design. This is not a model of a particular engine, though inspired by the Bristol poppet-valve radial aero engines. 4-stroke of course and coil ignition. As a precursor to that I built a 5cc single-cylinder development engine to try out design ideas for the radial, and ended up doing a fair amount of dynamometer testing on that as well. I have also built a miniature magneto to a novel design and a proof-of-principle inertia starter which on a good day will indeed start the radial engine. I am currently picking up some of those threads after a period of relative idleness on the model engineering front. Though I built the radial many years ago there is still plenty of unfinished business to investigate, such as an embarrassingly high oil consumption and poor carburettor compensation. Amongst other things I want to carry on the inertia starter work and I have been trying to find information on and drawings of one of the classics such as the Rotax Eclipse. I am just finding my way around this site and its conventions etc and in later posts I can expand on this as appropriate.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: just joined
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 06:07:21 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum!  Would love to see some pictures of your engine!
Chris

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 10:05:10 PM »
Welcome Mike there are lots of knowledgable people contributing to this site.
Trevorc!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 10:59:13 PM »
Hello Achers

Welcome aboard this great forum.   :hi: :hi:    Where in the world are you based?

I also have a great interest in Bristol poppet valve radial engines, so I will enjoy seeing some photos of your engine.

I think I may have a copy of the Rotax Eclipse inertia stater handbook somewhere.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2021, 11:19:41 PM »
Ackers, welcome to MEM!!! It sounds like you have had your share of model engineering. Please share those episodes with us as that is what this site is all about. Pictures are always good and we love them.

Cheers  :DrinkPint:

BC1
Jim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 11:33:02 PM »
Hi Ackers,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 02:14:57 AM »
Hi Ackerman welcome to the forum!    :hi:

Don

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 03:04:19 AM »
Hi welcome to the forum. It does sound like you have built some interesting engines. I must admit having a soft spot in my heart for round engine's. Would love to see photos or videos of both your engines.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal