Author Topic: A Really Good Book on Building Model I.C. Engines  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
A Really Good Book on Building Model I.C. Engines
« on: October 17, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
I have reached a point of total "Burn out" on building model engines. I want to coast for a while now. I have a number of good books on building small scale engines, such as "The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos" published by Village Press in Traverse City Michigan. "Model Four Cycle Engines" by L.C. Mason, and "Miniature Internal Combustion Engines" by Malcolm Stride. I'm not really after small engine plans, although if they are in a book I will certainly look at them. I am interested in a book that takes me beyond the basics of model engine building. I have a difficult time expressing exactly what I want. Can anyone point me towards a book which they consider excellent, which deals with design and fabrication of small internal combustion engines (Not steam engines).---Thank You.---Brian Rupnow

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: A Really Good Book on Building Model I.C. Engines
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »

Can anyone point me towards a book which they consider excellent, which deals with design and fabrication of small internal combustion engines (Not steam engines).---Thank You.---Brian Rupnow

I had this book in a previous incarnation some 40-odd years ago.

It is about full-size engines rather than models but .... principles are principles I suppose  :thinking:

Whether you wish to obtain it and where from is up to you.

https://estore.ricardo.com/en/the-high-speed-internal-combustion-engine---c-23-c-70-p-231#:~:text=The%20High-Speed%20Internal-Combustion%20Engine%20is%20an%20authoritative%20book,chapters%20on%20diesel%20and%20gasoline%20combustion%2C%20and%20components.

I found it very interesting. But that would depend on the individual's requirements / expectations. 

D.

Download:

https://ia903200.us.archive.org/7/items/dli.ernet.17723/17723-The%20High%20%20Speed%20Internal%20Combustion%20Engine.pdf
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:10:29 AM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »
Heinz Heisler wrote "Advanced Engine Technology" which despite its title takes engine design from the basics as far as we probably would want to take it - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Engine-Technology-Heinz-Heisler/dp/0340568224

If you want to branch out into little single cylinder Aero engines there are some interesting early books around.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline rklopp

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 09:17:42 PM »
As noted elsewhere, Strictly IC magazines are a treasure trove of information. You can still buy them all here:  http://www.strictlyic.com/b0_form.htm.

The late Ron Chernich's site is still alive and has hours of great reading on the topic of model engines:  http://www.modelenginenews.org/

Adrian Duncan has a site along the lines of Ron's:  https://www.adriansmodelaeroengines.com/

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:41:43 PM »
I seem to remember someone else asked a similar question not that long ago  :noidea: but I do not think they ever replied so we never learnt what they decided/found  :-\.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
I just tried to buy "Model petrol engines: their design, construction and use" by Edgar T Westbury.  It seems to be sold out everywhere. Five sites I looked at were sold out and one site tried to download a horrible virus onto my computer, but my anti-virus program caught it and stopped it from downloading.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:19:42 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »
Not sure what postage would be but reprints are available. Tee is a big UK hobby book supplier

https://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/for-the-aeromodeller-engine-builder/model-petrol-engines/

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »
Thank you Jason---I will contact them.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 07:58:37 PM »
I just ordered the Westbury book "Model petrol engines: their design, construction and use" from Amazon.

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 12:28:45 PM »
Brian

Westbury's book was published long ago, in 1936. Even so it is a very interest book that includes his thoughts. Try Chapter XII, "Possible Future Developments", particularly the section "Petrol Turbines".

AVTUR

PS. Just a thought. They may be outside your brief but a couple of books on design and development of piston aero engines: "Development of Piston Aero Engines" by Bill Gunston (Patrick Stevens Ltd) and "Rolls-Royce Piston Aero Engines - a designer remembers" by A A Rubbra (Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:44:13 PM by AVTUR »
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 09:24:31 PM »
Avtur--thank you for the post. Even though Westbury's book was published long ago, it should still give insight into the type of engines I build. My engines are very simple internal combustion engines with carburetors and points/coil ignition.  I have over twenty i.c. engines, some of which have been designed by myself, some designed by others. I would never say that I know all there is to know about these simple engines, but I am at the point where I would like more detailed information about valve timing. Every book I have ever read advances my knowledge base. I have built throttled engines, hit and miss engines, flame-sucker engines, and heat engines. I'm looking forward to my newest book that is coming in the mail.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 06:15:58 PM »
Avtur--You were right. I have received and read thru the book "Model petrol engines: their design, construction and use", by Westbury and sadly, there is nothing there for me. I had to try, but even though the book covers a lot of broad spectrum stuff associated with model i.c. engines, there isn't much. ---Brian
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:44:15 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 06:32:30 PM »
Why not try a 2-stroke as I think all your other IC subjects have been 4-stroke, a few 2-stroke designs in Westbury's book that you could base something on.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »
Jason--I have a two stroke engine that I built four or five years ago. It is based on a water cooled marine engine and has it's own water reservoir and circulating pump. The original engine was sold as a casting kit, but I made it all from machined bar stock.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal