Author Topic: Bassett-Lowke "Eclipse" Replica  (Read 3294 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Bassett-Lowke "Eclipse" Replica
« on: October 03, 2021, 05:35:51 PM »
As I mentioned at the end of my Gamages engine post I had also found a similar engine that was made by the well known English maker bassett-Lowke and I could not resist having a go at making an engine based on that design.

The original was mainly intended for use in model boats and described as a "high speed" engine with a bore of 7/16" and a similar stroke.

As well as doing my design in metric and using metric materials and threads so there are no odd sizes with the majority of dimensions being whole millimetres with only a few tapping sizes and the valve layout needing 0.1mm increments I also upped the size slightly to 12mm x 12mm which resulted in an engine of 90mm overall height.

The base was a silver soldered fabrication though it could be done with soft solder or JBWeld for anyone who does not feel up to silver soldering

The cylinder, valve chest & cover, flywheel and cylinder covers were all machined from solid cast iron bar with the remaining bits from steel, brass and bronze and an aluminium piston.

For a small engine with a not particularly large flywheel it tick over at quite a nice slow speed on about 5psi and with the compressor regulator opened up a little more to 1bar (14psi) I managed to get 2,300rpm out of it off camera and just a shade less while the video was running so I seem to have captured the "high speed" part of the design reasonably well.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31fz7ykhb0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31fz7ykhb0</a>

PS only one mistake, I reamed the eccentric rod holes at 36mm ctrs instead of 35mm due to misreading the drawings which were otherwise spot on. Just a couple of turns of the valve rod cured that and no screws were forced into any holes.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Bassett-Lowke "Eclipse" Replica
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 09:31:30 PM »
Tiny but very nice :)       Terry

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 01:19:36 AM »
Nice work Jason!

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 02:49:04 AM »
Very nice tile runner!… :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »
Nice!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »
Fine little runner and I can see that it could fit into a small RC boat - but I kind of suspect that you are not going to install it in one  :cheers:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 07:07:14 AM »
Thanks for all the comment.

No mine is destined for the display cabinet. Not sure if there was much RC at the time more likely set the rudder to a large radius and hope you got to the other bank of the boating pond before it hit the side. The did also market a marine plant for this engine the "streamlinea" and there were various hull designs to suit, some still available.

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/mm2118-streamlinia-too/

https://www.tooveys.com/lots/297299/a-bassett-lowke-live-steam-model-fast-motor-boat-streamlinia/

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 08:26:55 AM »

lovely engine and finishing details, and fine runner too; beautiful!
it is said in the flyer that this steam plan runs at 45psi, the no load speed at such pressure must be impressive, in the 8000 rpm range I would say !

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 11:11:58 AM »
Nicely done and probably looks beter than the original  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :)
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Jason,

That was a neat bit of silver soldering on the base plate. And as Roger says, "probably looks better than the original"

I wonder if I saw an original in the Basset-Lowke shop window in Manchester in the early 1950's. That window was a magnet for all boys, young and and old.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 05:05:45 PM »
Careful now you two, don't let Jo hear you saying fabricated engines look better than original cast ones :LittleDevil:

Mike I'm not sure over what period they produced the engine but the style of the motor cruiser looks about right for when you were in shorts.

Not sure what the next fabricated one will be, I've got a few images of a nice little steam pump with a scotch yoke drive to the pump and as I have not done a scotch yoke yet that will be another thing to add to the tee shirt pile but something else may come along that takes my eye.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:09:01 PM by Jasonb »

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 06:05:38 PM »
Hello Jason,

Thats a pretty little engine. Are you sure about the scotch yoke? It looks like a straight up and downer to me. :headscratch:

Mmmmm!!  Mike in short pants  :hellno:
Mike
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 06:15:03 PM by Vixen »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »
can't go straight up and down as crankpin needs to go sideways too. I think the horizontal tube acts like the slot in a scotch yoke, there is a piece of bar within the tube  that has a hole for the crank pin and the side of the tube has a slot so that the pin and bar can move from side to side as the crank rotates

Probably should have said it drives the crank as pump is just a direct ram.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2021, 08:33:51 PM »
Yes, that makes sense. I do like the look of thos one. Please put me down for a copy ( 2D) of the drawings. You never know, I may take time out.

Mike
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:19:19 PM by Vixen »

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 02:39:03 AM »
There was actually a full size British Launch maker who built engines that looked just like that one....but like 6" bore x 8" stroke or so.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal