Author Topic: Minnie TE (1")  (Read 4824 times)

Offline cwelkie

Minnie TE (1")
« on: October 02, 2021, 02:04:25 PM »
Although I haven't been posting a build log I thought I'd share a couple photos of my Minnie in its current state.  I started it in January this year with a set of Reeves castings and some copper.  The only "parts" left to deal with are the steering chains so now it's down to paint considerations.  I hate painting so it may be some time before I take this apart one-more-time.

Any suggestions regarding suitable materials and their use to resist heat and reassembly would be appreciated. (I know this question might be like asking about the best motor oil to use but I'll take my chances ...)
Cheers
Charlie

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Minnie TE (1")
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »
Lovely engine - I was giving this serious consideration as a project - how are the Reeves castings and drawings - everything pretty accurate or did you have any issues along the way?
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 02:59:20 PM »
That is one beatiful model! Very well done!

For paint, I have had great luck with the DupliColor brand, specifically the Engine Enamel With Ceramic. Its a spray paint intended for car engines, comes in the usual rattle cans. Dries to touch in minutes, goes on with a very thin layer, covers well, and takes heat up to about 500F. No baking or special curing required like some of the earlier high temp paints. I have used it on boiler shells, smokeboxes, and engines, with no blistering or peeling. Fairly tough stuff. They have some decent colors, not a huge selection but the basic red/blue/green/black/greys.

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 03:20:51 PM »
Thank you Stuart and Crueby

Stuart - the Reeves castings were all very good.  The shaft bearings required some care in cutting away from the "strip" they are cast in - could have used a bit more material between them for comfort.  In the end I didn't use the piston casting but that was only because I didn't want to put a gunmetal piston in a gunmetal cylinder.  It probably would have been fine but just didn't "feel right".  The drawings were also good.  I had the advantage of having the Mason book to hand and highly recommend it for the tips and processes.  One could easily build the engine from the book alone.

Crueby - thanks for the tip about Duplicolor paints. I'll check around to see if they available up here in Canada.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 03:25:18 PM »
Yup - looks like both NAPA and Canadian Tire carry it, according to quick google search. Am sure others do too. Looks like a different label on the can, but same stuff.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »
Hi Charlie,
That's a beautiful model you've made there!  And you've nearly completed it in only 9 months? I find that amazing!  I spent 3 years on a similar traction engine.

As for paint, I used Rust-Oleum high-temperature spray paint (rattle can variety).  It's very similar to what Chris described with the DupliColor, but it gives you yet another brand to check on.  The high-temp paint comes in a few colors - I know it comes in black, red, and green since I used those, but there are more.  Not as wide of a selection as the standard paint, but some good choices.

It's so beautiful in metal, it's a shame to paint it!

Make sure and post pics when you're done.
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 07:50:38 PM »
Lovely model!    Well done.       Terry

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »
Thanks Kim and Terry.

Crueby and Kim - did you use any primer under the colour coat with Dupli-color or Rustoleum?  Given all the different materials at play there may not be one "right" answer ... I'm thinking that an etch primer for the wheels would be advisable given the aluminium rims even though the spokes are steel and the hubs are gunmetal and brass. At least heat won't be as issue ... with luck  :D

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 08:41:40 PM »
Thanks Kim and Terry.

Crueby and Kim - did you use any primer under the colour coat with Dupli-color or Rustoleum?  Given all the different materials at play there may not be one "right" answer ... I'm thinking that an etch primer for the wheels would be advisable given the aluminium rims even though the spokes are steel and the hubs are gunmetal and brass. At least heat won't be as issue ... with luck  :D
I did not use any primer. It would need to be a similar heat resistant primer or it would bubble up when hot. The Duplicolor doesnt need it. Clean surface only, no oil residues. Have not tried it on aluminum, on that a etch primer would probably be a good idea.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 09:02:41 PM »
Lovely model!

Regarding the Dupli-color engine enamel; I've used it for years.  I have a small engine collection and all the engines have been refinished with it.  The paint has held up well, but then I don't run them long enough to get scorching hot.

I do have a problem with it on aluminum.  I even use an etching primer and oil seems to soften the paint after a while.  The aluminum frames of my Otto & Langen models were painted with it and the paint on them seems to be holding up well, but then the frames don't get saturated with oil.

I've painted my live steam locomotive with it also.  I used a high temperature BBQ flat black on the smoke box because it gets insanely hot.  The boiler wrapper is the Dupli color and I noticed that after a few seasons the paint seems to dull.

It's about as good a rattle-can paint as you're likely to find.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 05:52:31 AM »
Thanks Kim and Terry.

I did not use any primer. It would need to be a similar heat resistant primer or it would bubble up when hot. The Duplicolor doesnt need it. Clean surface only, no oil residues. Have not tried it on aluminum, on that a etch primer would probably be a good idea.

Same on the Rust-Oleum high-temp.  Some are listed for engine use and some for BBQ use.  Don't know if there's a temp difference between them.  I didn't use a primer for the same reason Chris said.  Can't say much about wear.  The paint still looks pretty good after a few years, but then, it hasn't seen much hard use (or much use of any kind other than looking at it on the shelf! :)).

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 08:15:57 AM »
Excellent job  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »
Thanks Craig and Roger.

Thanks all for the shared experiences and suggestions. Amazing as it may be, our local Canadian Tire carries Dupli-color engine enamel.  They also have a "VHT" header paint that might be good for the "Very hot" bits.  I do have a means to bake/degas it so might test it directly on some copper to see how it goes.

Crueby - we get different labels for everything ... bilingual you know  ;)

Promise to post updates as this progresses - just have to decide on colour(s) and I'm not too thrilled with the usual green/red (no offence Kim!) ... maybe blue?

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 03:14:52 PM »
They also have a "VHT" header paint that might be good for the "Very hot" bits.  I do have a means to bake/degas it so might test it directly on some copper to see how it goes.
I used VHT on the brass "smokebox" of my little live steamer, since it's in direct contact with the pot boiler and gets pretty hot. I didn't bake it at all, and it doesn't seem to mind. Still looks good after multiple firings. It is a very "black" black, so all details disappear in weak lighting. For that reason I used a slightly more "gray" black everywhere else.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2021, 11:33:15 PM »
Promise to post updates as this progresses - just have to decide on colour(s) and I'm not too thrilled with the usual green/red (no offence Kim!) ... maybe blue?

None taken!  Blue would be a wonderful color :)  :ThumbsUp:  :popcorn:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal