Author Topic: Murdoch-Aitken "Steeple" engine  (Read 18355 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Murdoch-Aitken "Steeple" engine
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2022, 09:21:23 PM »
I mentioned earlier that the big-end con rod was too long as drawn. I was wrong as the underside of the crosshead needs to clear the crank at bottom dead centre.   I have noticed some errors on my build probably due to poor measuring >:(  The engine has been dismantled, boxed and put away for a while as I continue camping and sort out my two mortobike rebuilds.  As a result this thread is "on hold" for a while but will hopefully continue with renewed enthusiasm in the autumn.    Cheers for now    Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2022, 07:24:17 AM »
Sorry to hear that Terry  :( I hope you wrote down your findings so that you don't have to re-find them when you pick it up again.

You have not told us anything about your new bikes, it would be nice to find out a bit more about them  :). In my younger days  :old: I restored a few motorcycles of my own before someone (MEM member Old Bill) introduced me to model engineering  :embarassed:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2022, 09:38:39 PM »
Cheers Jo,     Nothing exotic I'm afraid,  just a couple of 1963 Royal Enfield 250cc. Dismantled by their owner 45 yrs ago and dry strored ever since. A last (failed) attempt by Britain to fend off the imports.
I have owned nearly 30 bikes in my time but never an Enfield so will be a change.            Terry

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »
As a Biker for Life (and never owned a car), I'm curious too - any pictures ?

45 years in dry storage æh - that is a long time, so even better if they are oiled (so to speak)  ;)

Enjoy the time with this project too  :cheers:

Per

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »
No pictures as yet Per.   No, the bits have not been oiled :( so a bit of work ahead.      Thanks for your interest.          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »
I suppose A few pics of motorbike progress are in order in few of comments.  An expensive exercise which is now on hold to allow my finances to catch up!    This means I can continue with my  "steeple"      I have fetched out all the bits  and had a little assembly just to get excited :LickLips:    Next move is to re measure everything and then study Jo's excellent build.        Progress is likely to be slow so don't wait up :headscratch: :old:
Terryy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2023, 08:59:21 PM »
The Tank looks a bit strange (shape vise) in the picture - but other than some missing bits - everything in rather good condition  :)   :ThumbsUp:

One could be forgiven for thinking that a few days to put on all the rest + adjustments and she will be ready for a Ride Out  :cheers:

All the parts done one the Model looks great too  :praise2: .... but missing time or money is a rather well known factor to me  ::)

Per      :cheers:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2023, 08:22:27 PM »
Cheers Per,  The tank is Royal Enfield's take on the 1960's Ducati. New rims, tyres, chrome, paint and all bearings, seals, valves and chains take their toll on the wallet    :(      Still lots to do.   I'm going to enjoy not spending on the steam engine.        Terry

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2023, 11:55:53 PM »
The tank is Royal Enfield's take on the 1960's Ducati.

Parden this Heathen his Ignorance  :-[  ...... but in my defence - I didn't see that many English Motorcycles in my youth and they aren't plentiful on the streets here Either  :embarassed:

.... and in regards to spending money on my projects - that went out the door when I lost job @ the local University .... mostly ....

Enjoy the MC Build (when money permits)  :praise2:    :cheers:

Per

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2023, 07:16:26 PM »
Per,  Absolutely no ignorance infered,     It's known as the "jelly mould" tank and is pretty rare here too.   One of British industry's  last gasps :ShakeHead:
Sorry to hear about the job,  let's hope you can get another one soon.

Best Wishes      Terry

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2023, 09:21:10 AM »
Well it isn't always easy to tell when people are very enthusiastic about British Iron - so I often try to thread carefull - but in this case I also meant it as a bit of a joke on my expence ;)  :cheers:

I have had another job for seven years since, but currently unemployed -> back to school August 14th. for six weeks, to increase my job chances (+ better pay afterwards). At 62, I'm not completely looking forward to this - though I'm sure some of it will be interesting ....

Per

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2023, 10:43:29 AM »
I have had another job for seven years since, but currently unemployed -> back to school August 14th. for six weeks, to increase my job chances (+ better pay afterwards). At 62, I'm not completely looking forward to this - though I'm sure some of it will be interesting ....

I've been retired out of work for five years this coming weekend  :) . I learnt that money isn't everything, especially as you get older.

I promise Terry I will get back to my "Steeple" after I've finished my current job  ::)

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2023, 06:37:39 PM »
I've been retired out of work for five years this coming weekend  :) . I learnt that money isn't everything, especially as you get older.

Very True !! - But when you can't pay the monthly bills (or more correct, I can - if we exclude the yearly Tax on the House + some insurance etc.) ....
So, I need to be able to put more in the 'Bank before I retire'. It helps quite a lot that my last payment on my house is March 31th 2028 and I can officially retire, when I turn 67 two weeks later ….
The house needs some preparations before that and I would like to get a new Motorcycle before that too …

This is one of the main motivations for upgrading my job chances + payment => Back to School for 6 weeks.
Oh yea – there’s also the bit about a max of two years of unemployment support ….

But I’m fully adware off the fact, that health + more time, is much more Valuable the older you get …!
This qould be better too  ::)

Per         :cheers:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #118 on: July 30, 2023, 03:52:58 PM »
Forgot to mention: Give me a shout if you struggle with the 12BA studs for the steam chest or any other 12BA threads on this model  :-X

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2023, 09:07:17 PM »
Cheers Jo,   I think I am going to use 10ba for the uprights to cylinder fixings :-[    At present just working through what's already made and correcting cock ups.            Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal