Supporting > Tooling & Machines

CNC mill spindle up grade

(1/14) > >>

fumopuc:
Hi everybody,
end of 2019 I have done the first step and replaced my original Proxxon FF500 spindle motor by a high revving mill motor, how is its common in wood working from Mafell.
Here the link to this older posting. I have been very happy with the possible high revs up to 24.000, specially for milling aluminium and brass.
I have been not so happy with the noise and the power and torque.

After checking the market, I have found the Teknomotor 1,1 KW HF spindle, which could be the step in the right direction. So, a quick sketch was made in the CAD to see the overall integration also in relationship to the movement of the table. A bracket had to be designed to adapt the new spindle to the mill also.
From the electrical and electronical side, an electrical cabinet was necessary to run it with 3 phases 220 Volts. Also here was the CAD check very helpful to select the right cabinet size. Space for a line filter, a switching power supply 24 Volt and a relay, the frequency converter and a brake resistor have to be found. I was a bit of a long-time project, but now the Hardware is installed and the cabinet has found its final place close to the mill now. Space is rare in my little shop under the roof.
Here the first test run with a minor adaption of the EdingCNC software to control the spindle correctly by a 0-10 Volt signal, originally given by the G-Code now in future. What means at the other side, the right speed has to be defined now always proper in the CAM, so the programmer has to work there carefully now.
Next to do, the assembly of the bracket with spindle at the mill and to find the best way for the moving orange cable.   
[youtube1]https://youtu.be/YuXEvcWJVRA[/youtube1]

PS : I am heavily struggling with the text editor today. Nearly impossible to post anything.

Vixen:
Hello Achim,

Fitting the Teknomotor to the mill looks like the easy bit, compared to making the electronics installation. I am impressed with the way you have made such a neat installation in the cabinet.

We have a saying "It looks like a bought one" and your installation looks very professional.

Please can you explain how you did the G-code to 0 to 10 volt signal conversion. Did you use an interface card, or was it achieved within the EdingCNC software?

Keep us posted with progress. Waiting for the first chips to be made.

Regards

Mike

fumopuc:
Hi Mike,
the EdingCNC software can recognize the speed information in the G-Code.
This will be translated inside the EdingCNC into the 0-10 Volt signal, what is activated now.
Concerning the electrical cabinet, I have had some professional help.
A the very beginning, I have recognized that all this small bits and pieces for a proper assembly and the wiring are not available in my shop.
Everything is available online in the net and easy to order, but i.e. for the need of 0,3 meter cap tail, you have to order minimum 1 meter plus the freight charges.
All these added was together much more, than let the assembly job done in a shop, where everything is available of the shelf.

fumopuc:
Hi everybody, successes with my spindle up grade.
Everything seems to fit mechanically nicely.
I have swapped the Mafell against the Teknomotor with bracket.
I won a bit of z height, nearly 15 to 20 mm, by this design.
Followed by a tramming procedure.
The software (EdingCNC) had to be fed with the information about the new position of the lower end of the ER20 collet.
Also position of tool length sensor and collet had to new adjusted in the software.
The 3D printer was very helpful to fit the wire and to store new equipment for the mill now.
The test piece for first milling operation is in the CAD now and the CAM will start its work now.

Kim:
A very tidy upgrade there, Achim!
You're 3D printer did you proud!  I'm going to have to get me one of those someday :)

Can't wait to see what parts you make with your new CNC spindle  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version