Engines > Your Own Design

LONGBOY'S "SQUARE FOUR" MODEL GAS ENGINE.

(1/9) > >>

Longboy:
A rare configuration in I/C engines is the square four. From the motorcycling world in the form from the British Ariel S/F classic for three decades.......

And later in Suzuki GP racing and a Kawasaki street prototype.

Going to make this type mine!

staring this weekend!   :ThumbsUp:

Admiral_dk:
Yes - they are interesting engines !!!

But there are also reasons why we don't really see them :
Air cooling => reliabillity problems (Arial)
The Suzuki was a very succesful racer for years, but somebody found out that 'folding' it out to a V-configuration, allowed them to move the carburators from the sides (making it much narrover -> better aero dynamics), better breating -> more power and better lubrication of the crank and conrod bearings.

That said - I'm looking forward to see your unique take on this type  :cheers:   :popcorn:

crueby:
That takes the term 'engine block' literally! Must be a very interesting internal structure, looking forward to seeing it.

Longboy:
This S/F is a pair of inline twins with a common output shaft right down their center. Starts with these two block pieces.

One inch bore with liners and O-ring head gaskets.

A relief is milled in at the lower inside corners of the blocks to receive quarter inch aluminum plate verticals to accommodate the crank shaft throws.

AVTUR:

--- Quote from: Admiral_dk on September 24, 2021, 11:39:20 AM ---Yes - they are interesting engines !!!

But there are also reasons why we don't really see them :
Air cooling => reliabillity problems (Arial)
The Suzuki was a very succesful racer for years, but somebody found out that 'folding' it out to a V-configuration, allowed them to move the carburators from the sides (making it much narrover -> better aero dynamics), better breating -> more power and better lubrication of the crank and conrod bearings.

That said - I'm looking forward to see your unique take on this type  :cheers:   :popcorn:

--- End quote ---

The Danes had a motorcycle with an intersting engine - the Nimbus. An owner told me that the rear cylinder regulated its top speed by gradually tightening up.

I will follow this build with interest. Are you going to show a drawing or solid model of the engine?

AVTUR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version