Author Topic: James Booth 1843 Rectilinear Engine - Orphan  (Read 14256 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: James Booth 1843 Rectilinear Engine - Orphan
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2022, 06:20:44 PM »
Love those acorn nuts, and the router bit trick.  :popcorn:

Wow, more "features"  :facepalm:

At least you have them mostly sorted, or a plan to sort them.  Email from our machinist friends overseas this morning: can they rotate a bolt pattern and re-drill (sounds like they bored the first ones too deep and made a hole from the inside of a valve body to the outside...but that won't be really clear until we see the parts most likely)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »
Wow, more "features"  :facepalm:

Fun aren't they. I'll show you this one and how I fixed it if you don't let on  ;)

I decided I better check all the crankshaft bearings lined up and

:rant: No they didn't. While I had correctly located the holes in the central casting I had not checked the other two. Having put them on a surface plate they were found to be 2mm low  :toilet_claw: Time for a cheat, no one is watching this thread :paranoia: so

Turn up a piece of bar the diameter of the outside of the bearing with a 8mm hole in it to save time when I carefully mill it down to 2mm thick:

Cut it off just under the inside flange measurement of the bearings:

Pop it into place to check it looks right  :-X

I think we got away with that  ::)

I am pleased to report a long piece of bar goes straight through the four bearings and goes round and round  :naughty:

I found a casting  :pinkelephant: its the last one  :Director: We will need some more... In the meantime..

Doesn't that look pretty  ;D No its another  :censored: one when you look closer:

And it is not recoverable sufficient to have a shiny rim  :ShakeHead:

Decorative paintwork will be the name of the game  :-\ But  it looks to be time to start the negotiation for another set of castings  :cartwheel:  :wine1:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 05:46:17 PM »
Nice shim recovery! 

And I thought the same thing on the flywheel, a bit of putty and paint and it'll do.

Mean time I have my company coming to my office on a daily basis asking if we can substitute materials to make up for shortages...sigh.  If you think the price of plain steel is getting outrageous, try sourcing more exotic alloys (17-7 PH stainless, amongst others).  I may have to dig in harder on my retirement plans.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2022, 06:03:56 PM »
I'd say nice save with the shims, but none of us are watching so I didn't see that...  :Lol:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »
Did you glue the non-save :-X into place to make it stay ?

Fine result, as usual  :cheers:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2022, 09:29:28 PM »
Thanks Guys  :)

Did you glue the non-save :-X into place to make it stay ?

Yes  ;)  No one should ever know on the finished model as it is hidden behind the flanges on the bearings  :-X

Jo

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2022, 02:38:38 AM »
I'd say nice save with the shims, but none of us are watching so I didn't see that...  :Lol:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

What shims? :noidea:  I didn’t see a thing!

Watching this build with interest Jo.  I find it entertaining, if not remarkable, how you salvage errors in previous peoples work. :NotWorthy:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2022, 08:19:50 AM »
Thank you Craig,

I believe it is just as important to know how to remove features as it is to find new and ingenious ways to apply your own    :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2022, 02:53:12 PM »
I find it entertaining, if not remarkable, how you salvage errors in previous peoples work.
I'll echo what Craig (and others) said, and add that they are also valuable lessons on salvaging errors in my own work!
Regards,
Ron

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:55 PM »
Ditto!   Great save,   great lesson in sorting my future cock-ups!         Terry

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2022, 08:19:45 AM »
I'm quite sure such solutions were used in full size practice rather than casting and scrapping in new brasses  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2022, 11:31:43 AM »
More joyful features  :facepalm: I've been "faffing" around trying to get the centre section of the crankshaft together, this joyful time has been caused by drawing errors:

The drawings for the guide blocks shows 1.6mm shoulders, they don't fit if they are 1.6mm, later the article mentions they should be 0.8mm. So mount them in a sub chuck and mill them down:

I put the webs of the crankshaft and all the bits and pieces together to find it was 1.6mm over width  :headscratch: and then I saw it:

:rant: two dimensions for the same bit. The correct answer is the thinner dimension. Time to turn another 0.8mm off the outside webs, off the crank pins, the bearings and then try it all together again:

One major issue is trying to put it together it only goes one way and the entire structure is held together with about 5 5BA threads at the weakest point, needless to say they are easily stripped  :rant:

Did I mention this is not a beginner's engine and I have a second similar one to do at some point  :Doh:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »
Did you also pick up that the 15/16" on the same crank assembly drawing does not add up to the sum of the parts if you are to get 5 thou clearance either side of the slippers? that means the central spacer should be 7/16" - 0.010" O/A length.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2022, 12:37:48 PM »
Besides the machining and set up practices here, there is a valuable lesson about thoroughly going over the drawings before starting. Based on this and some other builds I've seen and read about, I'll be very careful before starting my next engine - seems like any of the legacy models prints should not be trusted.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2022, 01:04:03 PM »
Redrawing in CAD would be the best option these days, but failing that a few simple calculations on a scrap of paper can save scrapping a part or having to re-machine something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal