Author Topic: James Booth 1843 Rectilinear Engine - Orphan  (Read 14269 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: James Booth 1843 Rectilinear Engine - Orphan
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2021, 03:35:42 PM »
I was going to say did you see that nice one on the front of a recent ME (except the large acorn nuts) but then I got to the bit you wrote about no cladding :-X

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »
No, I rarely see Model Engineer anymore not only me but most of the people I know stopped taking it because all it had in it was Locomotives, more Locomotives and repeats of articles from years ago (complete with their original errors  :facepalm2: )

The posh moulding round the outside of the cylinder casting implies it did not have cladding but I noticed Anthony did it on his as well.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 04:59:25 PM »
The piston was turned to just over width and the centre drilled and tapped for the piston rod.

It was then fitted on the end of the piston rod to have it taken to diameter, cut the slot for the packing and face the two sides of the piston so it ran true (I know fussy, fussy  ::) )

The piston fit passes the drop test:

It glides slowly to the bottom of the cylinder:

Time to look at the valve face: I've fly cut the face..

Now I am checking the dimensions... the width is a bit tight (undersized by 0.1mm before skimming square)  I also noted that the inlet port dimensions are not on the drawing  :facepalm: They are half the width of the exhaust port, which is the same dimension as the lands between the ports and we can also check with the pocket dimension on the valve  :ThumbsUp:

So 4.76mm by 12.7mm exhaust, 2.35mm land, 2.35mm by 12.7mm inlet ports. I note the dimensions of the studs for the steam chest are not on the drawing. More opportunities to drill through from a cover - the way things were   ::)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 06:38:53 PM »
My drawing has them and as you have surmised they are 3/32" wide :ThumbsUp: or rounded to 2.3mm as does yours before anyone starts blaming the drawing suppliers for not having been revised
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 06:44:30 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 03:39:44 PM »
As the width of the valve port face is a bit thin I chose the centre the X axis of the mill on that, the Y axis used the top and the bottom of the cylinder casting.

Mill round the face to square things up and take note of the reduced width  ::)

Drill two holes either end of the slot and join between with first a slightly smaller slot drill then take to size using a four flute cutter:

Repeat for the two smaller slots.. First drill the two ends to the correct diameter:

As these ports are only 2.3mm wide I used the correct sized cutter to slowly mill the slot down to depth. The depth is 6.35mm. It is not on the drawing but it is a fairly standard depth used for ports as the flutes on the little FC3 cutters are just over that length (small cylinders may required less and have even smaller ports  :paranoia:)

Not forgetting to drill the 12 holes for the 8BA studs:

So cylinder complete with ports:

Did you spot where I had a senior moment  :old:   :facepalm2:  If you didn't I am sure someone will be along in a moment to point it out  :-X

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 04:44:22 PM »
I'll keep  :-X but it does look like it got very hot in your workshop judging by the how quickly the cylinder casting has tarnished  ;) :thinking:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
Which reminds me I was given some new tee shirts and this was amongst them.

The supplier said as you had one you might like it  :naughty:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
Was it another old man with a Scooby that supplied it. Now if it were rally blue with gold lettering I might be interested  ::)

Though if that is a 2'6" doorway it may be a bit large for me :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 05:41:05 PM »
Another Workshop rag then  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
Another Workshop rag then  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Yup. That just about sums me up ....  :old:   :shrug:

Incidentally, when did Subaru last actually do any rally car stuff?  Not that I fiollow such antics.

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2021, 06:18:11 PM »
I think it was about 2008/2009 that they withdrew from WRC. Still popular with privateers and the newer shaped ones get rallied quite a bit in the US in the more production based classes as current WRC is nothing like production cars and next years hybrid ones even more so. I think they are still the fastest car around the IoM TT course.

Enough Rally talk have you got your sombrero on for tonight's F1 Jo?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2021, 07:42:42 PM »
Enough Rally talk have you got your sombrero on for tonight's F1 Jo?

No I will be happily tucked up asleep. In the morning I will listen to the Shipping forecast and probably be told the result as part of the News Briefing when my alarm goes off in the morning, again   :wallbang: I was not impressed this morning when I found All 4 was not offering qualifying on demand :rant:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2021, 04:38:03 PM »
Someone has very generously already centre punched the centre of the cylinder on the base plate so I can use this:

As the zero point for the circle of 24 holes on which to mount the cylinder:

I have drilled these 2.4mm which is just oversized for the 24  :headscratch: 8BA mounting "thingies".

I am not sure what this hole on the base plate is for:

And yes this plate is oversized  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »
It is there if you want to plumb the drain cocks to waste under the base. see the photo you posted in post #1

I think you could get away with just putting alternate holes in the bottom of the cylinder to save a bit of tapping as 24 is overkill particularly as they are not seen, just do the full lot around the top and watch the ones near the steam passages.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2021, 08:08:39 PM »
Ta, I am not sure if I would plumb in any draincocks. The last thing you want on a drain cock is a restrictive small diameter pipe that doesn't let the condensate out fast. At least it is a slide valve so any excess would just go out into the Steam chest.

I did consider putting locating pins in alternate ones of the lower set of holes   :noidea:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal