Author Topic: Quorn MK3 build (Hemmingway kit)  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Quorn MK3 build (Hemmingway kit)
« on: September 16, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »
Hello all, it's been a while!

Just ordered a kit from Hemingways and I plan to keep busy with this build over the winter months. As I already have a 95% finished Quorn MK2 that I built a couple of years ago it will be a bit of a memory lane visit I guess. The old Quorn will be sold once this is finished I believe. More to follow in a couple of weeks.
  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 07:42:00 PM by Bjorn_B »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Am I mad or? (Second Quorn build)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 10:47:24 PM »
I can't say for sure  ;)  but if it's because you feel that you can do better second time - it might be an obsession  ;D

Welcome back  :cheers:

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 08:12:33 AM »
A good friend of mine is doing the same and is well advanced with N°2.
He is incorporating some of his own design changes having learned what the shortcomings of the original are.

Phil

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 08:19:22 AM »
I would be interested to know more about those design changes. My castings (first set) are still 'seasoning'.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 11:35:59 AM »
I never finished my original build because I acquired a commercial cutter grinder.

The issue with the Quorn is it is more challenge to set up to sharpen a cutter in the first place.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 03:46:58 PM »
The issue with the Quorn is it is more challenge to set up to sharpen a cutter in the first place.

Jo

I keep toying with building a cutter/grinder along the lines of a Quorn/Bonelle. The Bonelle is a version of the Quorn built from bar stock. The Bonelle has more bells and whistles than the Quorn which I believe aren't necessary. So I'm thinking of a redesign and build of a simplified Bonelle.

Everyone mentions the difficulty in setting up a job on the Quorn but few elaborate. Thus I'd be real interested in hearing of of these difficulties. One I know of is the difficulty setting it up to grind a radius. I'm thinking of incorporating a double dove-tail work head more like a Deckel single lip cutter to make this easier. Others?

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
Everyone mentions the difficulty in setting up a job on the Quorn but few elaborate. Thus I'd be real interested in hearing of of these difficulties.

The quorn is really a home made deckle  grinder. There are lots of levers to tweak to the right setting and you have to make sure they are tight or you get flexing. The greatest flexing is when you mount the between centres attachment through the top hole.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 07:16:42 PM »
As Jo says, between centres grinding is a bit of a bitch to set up I guess. There is neither positive guide to set up the between centres tailstock in line with the tool head. It has to be set up with a DTI. On the other hand, the MK3 has a setup tool for radius grinding of tools included in the building notes and plans, let's see how that works in due time.

Cheers!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »
Some of you may want to consider a Wilson T&C Grinder

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/tool-and-cutter-grinder.4030/

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 01:19:17 AM »
Dave:

From a quick glance at the mentioned Wilson T&C it doesn't appear it will make radius cuts. You know, for making bull nose cutters, rounded tip lathe tools, etc. Something I'd really like in a T&C. The Deckel single lip cutter will do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, the WIlson T&C looks a lot more feasible to build than a Quorn.

I'd likely not do end mill flutes so a Deckel would do all I need. Just that a used Deckel is real expensive, and I've read some horror stories about Chinese clones. But there's so much work in building a Quorn/Bonelle. A dilemma.

Thanks.

Some of you may want to consider a Wilson T&C Grinder

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/tool-and-cutter-grinder.4030/

Dave
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 01:34:08 AM »
Well yes, you may be Mad! From what I understand building a Quorn is a monumental undertaking. And to build two....

But I've witnessed some monumental engine builds that have been finished here. And the builders keep coming back with more monumental projects. So you're likely Mad, but fit right in. :-)

Is your first Quorn functional? I'd be interested in any insights you have in using one. A Quorn/Bonelle may be coming to the top of my list. Talk me into it, or out of it. If you do a build thread on the new Quorn please let me know.

Thanks.

Hello all, it's been a while!

Just ordered a kit from Hemingways and I plan to keep busy with this build over the winter months. As I already have a 95% finished Quorn MK2 that I built a couple of years ago it will be a bit of a memory lane visit I guess. The old Quorn will be sold once this is finished I believe. More to follow in a couple of weeks.
  :cheers:
Hugh

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 01:38:36 AM »
As it sits , no it won't do radius cutters like ball end mills.    It does do lathe tools, and end mills, and D bits, as well as angled endmills, which covers MOST of what we get into....but if you're really looking for the ability to grind a ball end mill, then you will need the quorn or deckle or something similar

The machine is limited to 1/2" cutters.

I suspect that will some minor rework, a radius lathe tool would be very possible though    It's in Projects in Metal, I believe it's in book 2

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 09:13:04 PM »
Did a thing today. A piece of round bar, bored and reamed to suit the toolpost stud.
20210919_120328 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr

Will be a mount for using the quorn wheelhead as a toolpost grinder (my old quorn head here) there is some clearance issues on the underside, mainly the adjusting screw tor the height adjustment and allso the motor plate (not mounted here)
20210919_120405 by Bjorn Bursell, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 09:18:57 PM by Bjorn_B »

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »
Got the second parcel out of customs today (barstock material, 23kg's..), in the usual Hemmingway style everything neatly wrapped up. Castings and motor arrived a week earlier (customs to blame) Time to get going!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Quorn MK3 build (Hemmingway kit)
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »
The castings look good :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal