Author Topic: Loft Insulation Cold Call (UK)  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Loft Insulation Cold Call (UK)
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:00:27 PM »
Got a phone call from some pillock, some crap about fibre glass loft insulation causing condensation .  :headscratch:  Maybe it can but not here.

He persisted on the (alleged) benefits of a 'Free Survey without Obligation' to the point where he got his earhole scorched in an enthusiastic manner.  ;D

Seems to be a scam ??

https://www.callchecker.co.uk/prefix/0120215

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6196162/cold-call-for-re-inspecting-loft-insulation

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Loft Insulation Cold Call (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:03:51 PM »
My version of scorching thier earhole is to hold the phone up to the 6 inch ships bell hanging on the side of the cabinet....

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 02:08:18 PM »
Oh no you are on their list now :facepalm: they have been pestering me for ages. I think last time I told him he needs to talk to the building inspector as they signed it off and can I have it in writing so I can sue the council.

The stuff that causes condensation is that disgusting spray on they were trying to flog a few years back.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 02:31:45 PM »
You actually talk to telemarketers? They will definitely call you back...!  Just hang up.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »
 That sounds like the very nice young sounding gentleman who called me last Friday.  He managed to ask me to confirm that I was the householder (to which I gave no answer!) and that I should be aware that loft insulation could be a health hazard before I recognised the way it was going and hung up having not said a word.
Mrs Jim says I shouldn't be so rude because he's only doing his job; I reply that he's the rude one for interrupting me when I'm busy (or snoozing).
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 03:15:41 PM »
Don't even answer for unknown numbers. If it's important they leave a message and I call back. That rarely happens.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 03:21:24 PM »
I rarely answer unknown numbers, but if a cold caller does get through; I tell them to talk to my landlord. I own the house, therefore dont have one, but the caller has crossed me off his list by then.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 04:31:34 PM »
Fibreglass insulation can cause condensation if not installed correctly. The main problem is that people cover the whole area with the stuff and don't allow adequate ventilation so what warm air does eventually make it's way through the fibreglass condensates on the colder surfaces which are usually the underside of the sarking felt or even the timbers.

latest regs require eaves ventilation and a clear passage up into the cold void and also some form of tile or ridge ventilation so you get air movement within the roofspace.

Had a nice little earner a couple of years back where the builder had not fitted the required vents or membrains and this is what I found when I poked my hand up through a downlighter hole and pulled out a handful of fibreglass. Cost them about £80K for me to put things right and get it signed of by BCO.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLEDnJDm9NM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLEDnJDm9NM</a>

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
The problem with a well ventilated roof is things get damp and go rusty. Consequently you have to store everything up their in air tight containers , preferably with silica gel. :wallbang:

This particular scammer is trying to flog the spray on insulation that seals the felt to the purlins which is  :censored: .

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 06:42:54 PM »
The problem with a well ventilated roof is things get damp and go rusty. Consequently you have to store everything up their in air tight containers , preferably with silica gel. :wallbang:

Well if you have a stash of iron castings or any other ferrous metal in the losf then yes that warm air I mentioned will just as happily condense on that as any other cold surface and with no ventilation won't dry out as fast which makes the rust problem worse :noidea: Don't think I kept any photos of the galv nails in that roof that had rusted right through in less than 18months

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 09:31:22 AM »
I have had the nuisance with this outfit also, which use a screed of 01202 ( Bournemouth ) numbers, but I looked it up. Though remarkably convincing, you are dealing with a Voice Bot, not a human, so don't concern yourself with parley or marginal politeness, just switch off immediately.   Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal