Supporting > Tooling & Machines

What wire size drill set do you like for model engine making.

(1/3) > >>

Doug Doty:
I have and love M42 cobalt fractionals for fabrication drills but this is for model engine making. M42 is $100 extra vs a good Norseman m7 set on wire size drills these days and I use them so seldom, will I regret not paying for the m42's this time. need to work well in cast iron brass aluminum and steel.

Thanks for any and all opinions. Just more careful on spending money these days.

crueby:
I've been using the cobalt drills for years, find them worth it in longevity. Mainly used on brass and 303 stainless, some tool steel.

Craig DeShong:
20 plus years ago, when I got into metal working, I bought a full set of fraction, numbered, and lettered drills.  Might have spent $100 back then.  They weren't the best quality drills, but they got me going.  Now, when a drill bit needs replaced, I get a quality drill, and I usually get a few of that size.  20 plus years later, all the drills that are frequently used have been replaced.  Still there are a few if the old original left in the box that get very infrequent use.

Jasonb:
Don't think I've ever used a letter drill in 40yrs of model engineering (I started young), 1-10mm in 0.1mm increment metric drills have done for me. Drill bit of choice is Dormer A002 or A022 Stub length.

I'm the same as Craig replacing the ones in the original sets as and when with the Dormers

john mills:
when i stated using drills we were still imperial so no. and letter and fraction drills were what's available metric weren't common .i bought the metric set much more recently now number and letter sides are less common now
most of mine are HSS  so don't usually have much choice  its the one the dealer has and if they have the size wanted .so you are fortunate if you have a choice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version