Author Topic: An Upshur Farm Engine  (Read 13643 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: An Upshur Farm Engine
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
You don't often see a vacuum advance distributor on a built VW engine.
That's a Pertronix electronic ignition distributor that includes both vacuum and centrifugal advance (and an adjustable rev limiter). That's the only concession to modern electronics I allowed on the car. Yours looks really nice, bet you miss it!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2021, 04:42:34 PM »
Lots of things have changed technology- wise since I got out of the VW hobby 20+ years ago, we still have one VW, my wife's 2021 Passat R line; its a pretty nice car. I do still machine cases and heads to support the the local VW community.
If you are interested in building a hot air fan, another choice might be the Moriya from James Senft plans. I have attached a photo of the one I built, it is a great runner.

Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2021, 12:45:42 AM »
Thanks Dave. That's one great looking fan! :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2021, 01:24:31 AM »
Thanks Dave. That's one great looking fan! :ThumbsUp:

Thank you.

Dave

Online mikehinz

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2021, 01:05:00 AM »
Ron, for whatever reason, the forum software has stopped giving me notices of when threads are updated, hence my very late reply to this thread.  I'm so sorry about that.

So, congratulations!  You have a nicely running engine and I think it looks very good!  It's no small accomplishment to gt an I/C engine built and an even bigger accomplishment to get it to run well!!

So again, congratulations and great work!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2021, 03:26:41 AM »
No worries Mike, and thank you very much. It was fun doing our respective builds somewhat in parallel, even though it was entirely coincidental.
Regards,
Ron

Offline IanM

« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2022, 08:21:57 PM »
I am not sure if this is exactly the right place to post but I have built a single/vertical Upshur engine and (a) its the second ICE engine I have built and (b) its the first one that has run!  I am very very happy that I finally coaxed it into life and have used the experience of others incl on this forum to work out how to do it. The coup de grace was using a buzz coil ignition and that made life so much easier in the end. Its not the prettiest engine ever built and I have carb and cleanup work to do but its a big step in my world.... Ian

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
Hello Ian. Congratulations on getting your Upshur running!  :cheers:

We'd all be interested in seeing the work you've done.  Maybe you'd like to consider posting some pictures and even a video of it in the Showcase section? What do you think your next project will be?
Regards,
Ron

Offline IanM

« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »
I have very much enjoyed picking up tips and hints on this forum, especially on engines like the Upshur variants. I have managed to create a vertical engine variant with enclosed crankcase and get it to run tolerably well. I learned a lot about better/versus worse carburettor design, getting the valves to seal, making a durable cylinder head gasket, making two fabricated cranks (V1 slipped), making the timing gears and getting the shaftline centre distances correct for camshaft (had to do that twice), and then succeeding with an electronic ignition (having first tried a buzzcoil with some temporary success). Emissions were appalling but are now much better and engine can run smoothly at quite low revs. Not the prettiest engine but it gives me the encouragement now to make a second 'neater'version.

Not sure if I have posted this in the correct place - feel free to advise me on correct location if I have got it wrong.

Ian M

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
Hi Ian. Sounds like you've been busy experimenting and refining to get your engine running well.  :ThumbsUp:

The best way to post about your own work is to start a New Topic under the appropriate category for the information you want to share. For example, to post more details/pictures/videos of your finished Upshur, you might go to The Showcase - Engines. Once there you would see a button called New Topic. Click that, fill in the info, and you're off. If you need help figuring out how to post pictures or videos just ask, it's easy once you know how but many of us needed a bit of help to get started.
Regards,
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal