Author Topic: An Upshur Farm Engine  (Read 14070 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: An Upshur Farm Engine
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2021, 02:47:12 PM »
Thank you, Joe. I can't take credit for the method, it is in the Upshur plans. It is a good one, and worked out quite well.
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2021, 11:51:44 PM »
A fairly easy going day today, leading into another "forced" work stoppage (doggone grandkids :LittleAngel:). I did manage to get the cam and the gears all mounted up and doing the hokey-pokey.

Regards,
Ron

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2021, 12:27:33 AM »
 :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2021, 05:47:54 AM »
Ron:

Nice progress, I like the con rod!

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
Thanks Don! Thanks Hugh!
Regards,
Ron

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
I figured a good next job would be to top the cylinder with a cylinder head. Basically a straight forward turning and drilling operation. I planned from the beginning to go with the side mounted spark plug option, but I haven't drilled the spark plug hole yet, preferring to wait until I have the plug on hand, or at least know for sure what plug I'm going to use.

Ron, just a quick hint based on what I ran into on my engine build, but I've not yet documented in my build thread.  I think it's likely that the SAE standard nuts you should will interfere with the rocker post whenever you install it. I ended up making some brass washers 5/16" x .050" and some model scale nuts .219" across the flats by .140" in height.  Those cleared fine when I tried them.

FYI.

MIke
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 05:03:03 PM »
Hi Mike. Thanks for the warning. I did notice the other day that it appeared the rocker post would interfere with those nuts. I drilled that hole undersize and haven't opened it up to the specified 3/16" post diameter yet. So I have the option of making the post slim enough to clear. Or I can make a pair of smaller nuts, as you did. Or I can abandon studs and just use long SHCSs instead.

Regards,
Ron

Offline mnay

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 07:20:25 PM »
Looks great, I like the open design.
Mike

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
Thanks, Mike! I like the open design too, that's a big part of why I chose it. An IC engine with all the whirly bits out in the open like a steam engine.
Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2021, 11:41:06 PM »
It appears that Mike Hinz and I worked on some of the same stuff today! However, I elected to make my rocker post out of brass. The “hole in the head” is drilled all the way through in my case, but only to a 0.135” diameter. So I turned a stepped post from 1/4” square, the bottom bit to match the hole, then an upper part to the plan's specified 0.1875”. Then it was notched, drilled, and tapped 2-56 on the mill.

The rocker arm I made out of steel. This was mostly a hand tools job, plus a bit with the grinder and sander.

To address the clearance issue between the standard SAE nuts and the rocker posts, I simply opened up a couple of 4-40 nuts with a 6-32 tap drill and re-tapped them. Now there is plenty of clearance, and the smaller nuts look better too.

Regards,
Ron

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2021, 12:07:30 AM »

To address the clearance issue between the standard SAE nuts and the rocker posts, I simply opened up a couple of 4-40 nuts with a 6-32 tap drill and re-tapped them. Now there is plenty of clearance, and the smaller nuts look better too.

[/quote]

Dang!! You had a much better idea than I did!  Tapping out some 4-40s is a MUCH better idea.  I went through way too much work, maxing a piece of hex out of round and then breaking off a tap one one of the nuts.  Good idea and it looks good!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2021, 12:58:41 AM »
Today started with making up the two brass valve guides and retainers. Nothing too special there.

I also opened up the holes in the cylinder head that the guides fit into, going just deep enough to seat the larger diameter flush with the top surface.

After that I turned my attention to making the two valves. These are two parters, silver soldered together. I used some left over bits of 3/32” 304SS for the stems, and 5/16 12L14 rod for the heads. The first step was to drill the rod for the stem and rough turn the 45degree chamfer. Then I parted off, about 0.025” longer than the finished thickness.

With the stem inserted into the head, I silver soldered them together.

Now I was able to hold the valve by the stem in a 3/32” collet and finish turning the head, ensuring good concentricity.

The first of the finished valves, and loosely assembled with guide, spring, and retainer.

The second valve was done in exactly the same way.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2021, 04:54:10 AM »
Nice results Ron……  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA