Author Topic: An Upshur Farm Engine  (Read 13647 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
An Upshur Farm Engine
« on: September 11, 2021, 01:38:34 AM »
I thought I'd like to have a go at an IC engine for my next project. Hamilton Upshur's well known Farm Engine seemed like a good candidate, so I ordered and the plans. These plans include both horizontal and vertical versions, overhead valve or an F-head, and a few other building options as well. I will be building the vertical version with the standard OHV head.

Assembly drawing from the plans, and my incomplete Solidworks model, for reference.

The last couple of weeks have been primarily family time, but I did have a few quiet moments to get a start on the steel cylinder liner, cut out of a scrap steel spike found discarded at a construction site. After turning the OD, I gave it a slightly darkened, weathered, finish by heating it with a propane torch and allowing to cool slowly.

Today was my first day back to normal “working hours”, and I was able to get the liner bored out and cut off to length.
Regards,
Ron

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
Re: An Upshur Farm Engine
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:55:05 PM »
Going to be another fun one to follow, Ron.

I'll get the popcorn machine going....

Joe

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 02:39:18 PM »
Thanks Joe, glad to have you along!
Regards,
Ron

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 11:27:20 PM »
Having built Upshur's vertical I have a soft spot in my heart for his designs so count me in!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 11:48:24 PM »
That's a nice little engine; looking forward to following along.

Dave

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 12:40:45 AM »
Art, Dave – Thanks for your interest!

A few weeks ago I added some photos to my Small Dividing Head thread showing my first attempt at gear cutting. Those two brass gears are both 30 tooth, and one will be used on this engine as part of the cam drive. The other gear needed is 60 tooth, which I cut in aluminum soon after. These gears have a straight tooth profile, i.e., not involute. I want to try them anyway on the engine. If they work, great. If they let me know they're unhappy I'll try making an involute cutter. Actually, I expect I'll do that eventually anyway.

Back to the present. I worked on the frame top plate today. The hole to accept the cylinder liner was bored using the boring head. While it was on the mill the drilled holes for the frame screws and the cylinder head studs were also laid out.

Got a nice, snug fit of the cylinder to the plate. A light tap will fully seat it, but I don't want to do that just yet.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 02:40:16 PM »
Looks good  :)  :) There have been a few Upshur builds on here if you need any help.
Best regards

Roger

Offline mikehinz

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
Ron, I"ll be following along.  I'm very interested as I'm starting an Upshur horizontal air-cooled, so I'm sure I'll pickup some tips from your build.

Good luck!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 12:56:20 AM »
Thanks Roger!
Good luck on your build too, Mike! I hope you post your progress, could be vice versa on picking up tips.  :cheers:

Been mostly working on the bottom and side frame plates, including flycutting the plate stock to make it smooth, uniform, and pretty.
The bottom is pretty much done. I convinced some #10 washers to masquerade as 1/2” filing buttons.

Laying out the “warn me before I cut somewhere stupid” lines for the side plates. I'm taking some liberties with the shape vs. the plans, but not altering anything important.

Regards,
Ron

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2021, 12:55:04 AM »
To cut out the side plates, first the concave bits were defined using a 1/2” end mill. I used XY coordinates for location, the lines are just for back-up and reference.

A 3/16” end mill was used to to connect all the straight lines and cut the part free. Then it was bolted to the second side and used as a template to machine the shape of that one. The convex curve was done by hand using the bandsaw, file, and a Dremel sanding drum. Finally, with the parts still bolted together, the crankshaft holes were drilled and reamed to 1/2”. (I neglected to take any pictures of these last steps).

Nearly done with the frame, just a bit of clean-up still to do, and the drilling/tapping to mount the top plate.

Regards,
Ron

Offline sid pileski

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2021, 01:26:04 PM »
I like the extra effort you put in to make it look less boxy.

Sid.

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 01:11:00 AM »
That turned out really nice, Ron! :ThumbsUp:

Cheers, Joe

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 01:15:39 AM »
Thanks Joe!
Thanks Sid!

Just about the time I got finished drilling and tapping the holes for the top plate and sanding out the last of the tool marks in the convex portion of the side plates, UPS showed up with my McMaster order. In there was the bar of 1/2” x 1” hot rolled cold rolled (oops, ordered the wrong part #) for the crankshaft, so I could get right to work on that next. JIT deliveries, just like the big boys!

Mr. Upshur's plans offer the option of either a turned crankshaft or a fabricated version using drill rod and bar stock cheeks, silver soldered together. I'm going for the turned version first. If that doesn't work out for some reason I can try the other. First step after sawing off a suitable piece was to accurately center drill the ends for turning between centers. One pair for turning the crank pin and another pair for the main shaft.

Some time back I made a head stock live center to fit the Taig spindle taper, with a threaded drawbar to keep it seated. This is the first good excuse I've had to use it! For this part the 4J works perfectly as a drive dog, with 2 jaws brought down lightly against the sides of the bar, and the other two offering moral support. In the first picture below I retracted one jaw so the center can just be seen.

The sawn-out notch gives a headstart in turning the crank pin.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 02:33:05 AM by RReid »
Regards,
Ron

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 01:26:41 AM »
Moving right along Ron, lots of good progress!  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 01:36:42 AM »
Ron,
You are making good progress. I like your treatment of the crank case, it looks good!
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal