Engines > From Plans

An Upshur Farm Engine

(1/23) > >>

RReid:
I thought I'd like to have a go at an IC engine for my next project. Hamilton Upshur's well known Farm Engine seemed like a good candidate, so I ordered and the plans. These plans include both horizontal and vertical versions, overhead valve or an F-head, and a few other building options as well. I will be building the vertical version with the standard OHV head.

Assembly drawing from the plans, and my incomplete Solidworks model, for reference.

The last couple of weeks have been primarily family time, but I did have a few quiet moments to get a start on the steel cylinder liner, cut out of a scrap steel spike found discarded at a construction site. After turning the OD, I gave it a slightly darkened, weathered, finish by heating it with a propane torch and allowing to cool slowly.

Today was my first day back to normal “working hours”, and I was able to get the liner bored out and cut off to length.

joe d:
Going to be another fun one to follow, Ron.

I'll get the popcorn machine going....

Joe

RReid:
Thanks Joe, glad to have you along!

Art K:
Having built Upshur's vertical I have a soft spot in my heart for his designs so count me in!
Art

Dave Otto:
That's a nice little engine; looking forward to following along.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version