Author Topic: A Safer way turning between centres and taper turning with a boring head  (Read 2102 times)

Offline geoff5269

When i had to make some tapered columns recently and mount the work between centres i didn't like the fact that the driving dog had so much potential for catching your hand. So i devised a more streamlined method of driving the work, which is just a piece of 1" tubing slipped over the centre point with a cutout for a small dog. I'm sure the pictures explain it all.
Also i used my Boring head to offset one end for the taper and this avoids moving the tail stock.   <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeozBY21q58" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeozBY21q58</a>
Geoff

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: A Safer way turning between centres and taper turning with a boring head
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 12:58:14 PM »
Another option is to turn a soft ctr held in the chuck and use the side of a chuck jaw to drive a small dog which is what I mostly do as the MT4 ctr on my lathe is a bit bulky and no risk of chewing it up when work offset.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:02:06 PM by Jasonb »

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 03:49:49 PM »
Those are both really good ideas, Geoff. I think I'll be trying them.
Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »
I haven't dona any turning between centres - but I do really like your idea  :ThumbsUp:

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 08:46:17 PM »
I like that idea of using a boring head for setting the taper.  I've offset the tailstock on my lathe a few times, and then blistered the paint off the walls (and machined away a lot of stock on test bars) trying to get it back to dead-center.  Thanks Geoff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal