Engines > Your Own Design

1/4 scale Porsche 917 180 degree V12 Build

<< < (122/153) > >>

Jan D:
Porsche had good firefighters, I guess..  :)
All cast parts of the engine except cylinders and heads are magnesium. Even something like the housing for the rev counter gear.

Ah, and quite a few titanium parts as well... Connecting rods, rod bolts, upper shaft driving the distributors and fan... Lower "output" shaft, except on the first few engines... And all of the studs and screws (except the main M12 ones which holds the housing together, and the M10 "housing to cylinder head" ones, these are Dilavar). Intake valves for "short duration races" (not Le Mans) were titanium as well.

jcge:
Honsel Werke were the masters of magnesium casting and Otto Fuchs did the titanium forgings. Crankshaft by Alfing...trivia.....but not trivial work.

steamer:

--- Quote from: Jan D on February 27, 2023, 09:18:05 PM ---Porsche had good firefighters, I guess..  :)
All cast parts of the engine except cylinders and heads are magnesium. Even something like the housing for the rev counter gear.

Ah, and quite a few titanium parts as well... Connecting rods, rod bolts, upper shaft driving the distributors and fan... Lower "output" shaft, except on the first few engines... And all of the studs and screws (except the main M12 ones which holds the housing together, and the M10 "housing to cylinder head" ones, these are Dilavar). Intake valves for "short duration races" (not Le Mans) were titanium as well.

--- End quote ---

They probably did have good firefighters!    A bit hard to justify on a hobbyist budget.  And that is one surprise I can live without.  Ive seen that happen and it's always a mess to clean up if you're lucky!

The nice thing about most machinery and tool steels is that they can be processed with a home shop,   With the 917 crank for instance, I would have to send it out for hobbing, and preferably ground if possible and the cost would be thousands on a good day.     Where as a multipiece BB crank with hardened steel crank pins ball bearing mains allows a milled gear and other components that are comparatively easy in the home shop.  Much to be said about the satisfaction of making it in my shop, and I gain a great deal of satisfaction figuring out new means for new problems.    It will look very much like the real deal when I'm done, and it will be me who did it.    And that is the Journey Mike (Vixen) talks about. 

Though I think I'll have to come up with something made out of Titanium on this build..... :ROFL: :thinking:

Dave

Admiral_dk:
I suppose that you could buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine - if you still feel that way  :mischief:

Per    :cheers:

Vixen:

--- Quote from: Admiral_dk on February 28, 2023, 08:44:41 PM ---I suppose that you could buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine - if you still feel that way  :mischief:

Per    :cheers:

--- End quote ---

buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine????? 

A few moments ago Dave said " Much to be said about the satisfaction of making it in my shop, and I gain a great deal of satisfaction figuring out new means for new problems.    It will look very much like the real deal when I'm done, and it will be me who did it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version