Author Topic: 1/4 scale Porsche 917 180 degree V12 Build  (Read 58395 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1/4 scale Porsche 917 180 degree V12 Build
« Reply #600 on: February 27, 2023, 12:39:17 PM »
Those Pumps are tiny (but look great)  :praise2: - are the shafts 1/8" Mill/Drill-Bits (or rather where) ?

Per               :cheers:

For the moment yes they are.  .for the moment..
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: February 27, 2023, 12:44:25 PM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  It has steel gears in a brass/bronze body I think so thermal expansion shouldn't be a problem. The first cooling water gear pump I built used plastic gears and the thermal expansion caused it to sieze.

Yup   just following big practice    though the 917 used magnesium....of course....
Damned ijjit!

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #602 on: February 27, 2023, 01:41:28 PM »
I love the pumps. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I've got some magnesium. I always check donated scrap aluminum for melting by cutting off a sliver and trying to light it. Very occasionally it will be magnesium and burn white. I don't want any in my furnace for obvious reasons. The largest piece I have is a VW engine crankcase, which I'd hoped would be a good source of aluminum. But, nope.
Steve

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #603 on: February 27, 2023, 02:07:25 PM »

I've got some magnesium. I always check donated scrap aluminum for melting by cutting off a sliver and trying to light it. Very occasionally it will be magnesium and burn white. I don't want any in my furnace for obvious reasons. The largest piece I have is a VW engine crankcase, which I'd hoped would be a good source of aluminum. But, nope.

Yup   No magnesium in my shop    don't need it..and I live there so don't want the risk.

You really need to keep seperate waste storage for it plus the correct types of fire fighting equipment.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #604 on: February 27, 2023, 03:54:41 PM »

Yup   No magnesium in my shop    don't need it..and I live there so don't want the risk.

You really need to keep seperate waste storage for it plus the correct types of fire fighting equipment.

Some titanium bar found it's way into my shop disguised as steel bar. Gave the cutter in the lathe a shock, when they took a test cut.

It's great stuff for making sparks on the grinder.      But that's it    :zap:

Mike
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:09:46 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jan D

« Reply #605 on: February 27, 2023, 09:18:05 PM »
Porsche had good firefighters, I guess..  :)
All cast parts of the engine except cylinders and heads are magnesium. Even something like the housing for the rev counter gear.

Ah, and quite a few titanium parts as well... Connecting rods, rod bolts, upper shaft driving the distributors and fan... Lower "output" shaft, except on the first few engines... And all of the studs and screws (except the main M12 ones which holds the housing together, and the M10 "housing to cylinder head" ones, these are Dilavar). Intake valves for "short duration races" (not Le Mans) were titanium as well.

Offline jcge

« Reply #606 on: February 27, 2023, 09:53:03 PM »
Honsel Werke were the masters of magnesium casting and Otto Fuchs did the titanium forgings. Crankshaft by Alfing...trivia.....but not trivial work.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 10:00:21 PM by jcge »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2023, 08:11:22 PM »
Porsche had good firefighters, I guess..  :)
All cast parts of the engine except cylinders and heads are magnesium. Even something like the housing for the rev counter gear.

Ah, and quite a few titanium parts as well... Connecting rods, rod bolts, upper shaft driving the distributors and fan... Lower "output" shaft, except on the first few engines... And all of the studs and screws (except the main M12 ones which holds the housing together, and the M10 "housing to cylinder head" ones, these are Dilavar). Intake valves for "short duration races" (not Le Mans) were titanium as well.

They probably did have good firefighters!    A bit hard to justify on a hobbyist budget.  And that is one surprise I can live without.  Ive seen that happen and it's always a mess to clean up if you're lucky!

The nice thing about most machinery and tool steels is that they can be processed with a home shop,   With the 917 crank for instance, I would have to send it out for hobbing, and preferably ground if possible and the cost would be thousands on a good day.     Where as a multipiece BB crank with hardened steel crank pins ball bearing mains allows a milled gear and other components that are comparatively easy in the home shop.  Much to be said about the satisfaction of making it in my shop, and I gain a great deal of satisfaction figuring out new means for new problems.    It will look very much like the real deal when I'm done, and it will be me who did it.    And that is the Journey Mike (Vixen) talks about. 

Though I think I'll have to come up with something made out of Titanium on this build..... :ROFL: :thinking:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2023, 08:44:41 PM »
I suppose that you could buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine - if you still feel that way  :mischief:

Per    :cheers:

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2023, 09:12:13 PM »
I suppose that you could buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine - if you still feel that way  :mischief:

buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine????? 

A few moments ago Dave said " Much to be said about the satisfaction of making it in my shop, and I gain a great deal of satisfaction figuring out new means for new problems.    It will look very much like the real deal when I'm done, and it will be me who did it.

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #610 on: February 28, 2023, 10:51:25 PM »

buy a Titanium bolt or two for the Engine????? 

A few moments ago Dave said " Much to be said about the satisfaction of making it in my shop, and I gain a great deal of satisfaction figuring out new means for new problems.    It will look very much like the real deal when I'm done, and it will be me who did it.

Wot Mike said!
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: April 01, 2023, 12:21:43 AM »
made the last 2 housing parts for the oil and scavenge pump assembly.   I then ran it in on the lathe with lots of oil

Next I need to make the 2 1/8" shafts with keyways for the gears....and put keyways in the gears.   I've got a cunning plan for this...stay tuned!

I'd like to have this pump running by the end of the weekend.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 12:27:05 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #612 on: April 01, 2023, 04:50:55 AM »
That's pretty small, Dave!  Can't wait to see it all together  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #613 on: April 01, 2023, 05:52:34 PM »
That's a tiny pump  :praise2: Fuel injection should be no problem for you  :)  ::)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #614 on: April 01, 2023, 10:20:22 PM »
I'm setting up to cut these keyways.... the bore is .125"  ( 3.175 mm)

The keyway is 0.0468"     The Key is a piece of .0468" diameter dowel pin.   I'm going to use the lathe mounted keyway cutter I built for the Logan,

ill need to make a cutter ::)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal