Author Topic: The Le Rhone 9C  (Read 58655 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: The Le Rhone 9C
« Reply #540 on: August 04, 2022, 02:09:12 AM »
Thanks for all the complements!

Kirk:  The jaws belonging to his Mom or Dad are at the marine aquarium at Fort Fisher, NC.  You can stand in the jaws with head room to spare.  Scary enough to keep you out of the ocean, even though they are extinct.

Kim: the prop came with the foam tip protectors.  I’m klutzy enough to ram the end if the prop into something and shatter it, so I’ll leave the tip protectors on till I actually try to run this thing.

To complete the history lesson....
The theropod I mentioned above is an  acrocanthosaurus, the tenth largrest theropod on record; but at 39 feet in length and weighing 6 tons it was still something to be reconed with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 04:25:32 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #541 on: August 04, 2022, 04:51:16 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

I ventured out to the shop this morning and made the model nuts and cut the studs; then installed them on the engine case. 

Then I took a judicious look at the engine case front (the part I finished yesterday) and realized that, even though I'd invested several hours filing and sanding the front, there were still a few significant tool marks that really needed addressed.  I'd hate to take this thing to a show and hear someone exclaim, "the guy seems to know something about turning handles, but obviously the use of a file and sand paper is a foreigh concept to him". :naughty:

So I mounted the piece on the lathe again and spent more time removing the scratches and smoothing the contour.  Still not as nice as i'd like, but my hand started cramping from manipulating the sand paper and it had had enough for now.

Below is the final photo before I turn my attention to an engine stand and ignition.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 08:18:01 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline RReid

• Northern California
« Reply #542 on: August 04, 2022, 06:13:51 PM »
That looks mighty good to my eyes, Craig. Awesome!
Regards,
Ron

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #543 on: August 04, 2022, 07:12:22 PM »
That is really pretty, Craig!   :popcorn:

Can't wait to see it on a stand, with the prop going round and round! :)

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #544 on: August 04, 2022, 07:46:50 PM »
Looks good to me  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #545 on: August 04, 2022, 08:35:02 PM »
Looks great if you ask me!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

edit: went back and looked at the earlier pictures again.  Yeah, ok, I guess there were a few scratches and tool marks, but the latest picture looks beautiful, probably better than any of the original engines ever looked, especially after a run-in with the Fokkers.  LOL

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #546 on: August 05, 2022, 03:07:01 AM »
again, thanks for the completements.

Can't wait to see it on a stand, with the prop going round and round! :)

Kim

We can only hope Kim.

Looks great if you ask me!   :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

edit: went back and looked at the earlier pictures again.  Yeah, ok, I guess there were a few scratches and tool marks, but the latest picture looks beautiful, probably better than any of the original engines ever looked, especially after a run-in with the Fokkers.  LOL

The model does exhibit one serious flaw where after completing the machining of one of the cylinders I dropped it on the concrete floor, breaking one of the fins off  :wallbang:  during the Fokker attack you mention, a ricochet broke off one of the cylinder cooling fins. :LittleAngel:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:28:47 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Online cnr6400

« Reply #547 on: August 05, 2022, 05:47:40 AM »
Funny you should mention the Fokker attack. Why just yesterday I broke an M3 tap in a block because I'm a clumsy ham fisted git    a Fokker flew by, shot through the shop's open window, and broke an M3 tap off! Such a hazard these days!  :Lol:  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #548 on: August 05, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »
Funny you should mention the Fokker attack. Why just yesterday I broke an M3 tap in a block because I'm a clumsy ham fisted git    a Fokker flew by, shot through the shop's open window, and broke an M3 tap off! Such a hazard these days!  :Lol:  :cheers:

Sounds like we both need to pay a bit more attention in order to eliminate the ‘Fokker scourge’.
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #549 on: August 11, 2022, 11:27:17 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

I've been busy making the permanent engine stand.  I thought it might  be nice to have a nice stand for the model when I take it to the Rough and Tumble Engineers Association show next week.  Also, time to retire the builders stand and have something permanent.  My plans are to bolt this stand down to a piece of plywood when it comes time to attempt starting the model, otherwise it's a convenient size for storage on the shelf.

Craig

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #550 on: August 11, 2022, 11:42:06 PM »
That looks fantastic Craig, I bet that it will get lots of much deserved attention at the show!

Dave

Online cnr6400

« Reply #551 on: August 11, 2022, 11:48:29 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #552 on: August 12, 2022, 05:36:55 AM »
Beautiful, Craig!  :cheers:
The black stand really sets off the engine well!

Kim

Online Twizseven

« Reply #553 on: August 12, 2022, 11:48:39 AM »
Craig,
That looks stunning.  Cannot wait to see the video of it running.
Colin

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #554 on: August 12, 2022, 12:00:08 PM »
Wauw - what a final result  :praise2:   :praise2:   :praise2:   :praise2:

It really presents it self in a fantastic way on the stand and with the Prop  :praise2:

As mentioned - now we REALLY look forward to see a Video of it running (and spraying Castor Oil ALL over the place  :LittleDevil: - like it's Big Brother). You should get some attension with this one on the Stand - next to your Otto Models  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal