Author Topic: The Le Rhone 9C  (Read 58075 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: The Le Rhone 9C
« Reply #510 on: July 04, 2022, 08:17:52 PM »
That's a good display and I'm glad your engines ran well  :)  :) :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #511 on: July 05, 2022, 04:09:55 AM »

While I'm talking about shows, I plan on attending the Rough and Tumble Association shown at Kinzer, Pennsylvania this August.  I should be set up in the model building and I plan on taking the four Otto & Langen models as well as the Le Rhône, so if you plan on attending, please stop by and say Hi.
Ooooh, now that is very tempting!  Just checked the dates - R&T is Wed thru Sat, Aug 17-20 this year. That luckily falls between several other weekends I have planned for submarine runs and Lombard driving runs. I'd LOVE to stop down and see your models in person, its not a bad drive from here in western NY state, and that show has been on my to-go-to list for a while. Are you planning on being there all four days?
Chris

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #512 on: July 05, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »
Usually go the Thursday or Friday, seeing as it is only fifty minutes away, to avoid the weekend crowds and search for the best deals in the flea market!

-Doug

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #513 on: July 05, 2022, 02:13:02 PM »

While I'm talking about shows, I plan on attending the Rough and Tumble Association shown at Kinzer, Pennsylvania this August.  I should be set up in the model building and I plan on taking the four Otto & Langen models as well as the Le Rhône, so if you plan on attending, please stop by and say Hi.
Ooooh, now that is very tempting!  Just checked the dates - R&T is Wed thru Sat, Aug 17-20 this year. That luckily falls between several other weekends I have planned for submarine runs and Lombard driving runs. I'd LOVE to stop down and see your models in person, its not a bad drive from here in western NY state, and that show has been on my to-go-to list for a while. Are you planning on being there all four days?
Chris

The show dates are August 17th thru the 20th. I plan on getting there mid day Wednesday and staying through Saturday.  It would be great to meet you Chris.  You could even bring a model or two and We’ll make room for you in with my stuff.  They are pretty good about letting you drive onto the show grounds to the model building if you are delivering or retrieving something.

Also, if ANYONE attends, I hope you hunt me down as I’d like to meet any/all of you.  I’ll probably be spending most of my time in the model building or in the Willock building, with the full size Otto & Langen.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 02:27:39 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #514 on: July 05, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »
Much to my surprise, when I entered the shop this morning; Chris's elves were busy dis-assembling the Le Rhône. :facepalm: 

When I asked them what they were about I was told that their Sopwith Camel (Chris, didn't know you had a Sopwith Camel, maybe it's time to clean up the shop?) needed a new engine so they could hunt down and “deal with” the “Red Barron”.  Apparently the only way they could transport the engine back to Rochester was in pieces.

I informed them that firstly, the “Red Barron” had been dead for over 100 years and secondly; with Germany being an ally now, the “Red Barron”, were he still alive, would be a friendly aviator.

Enlightened with this information, they excused themselves and departed.  Of course, I still had the engine to put back together.

While it was disassembled I though I'd place some thread locker on some of the internal fasteners so that WHEN it runs (please notice my positive attitude), there will be less probability of something coming loose inside and creating all kinds of havoc.

On another note, I've ordered a 32 inch propeller for the model, just about an inch shy of actual scale size.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 08:04:54 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #515 on: July 05, 2022, 08:15:51 PM »
So THAT's where they've been all day!  Last I saw, the Mann truck went steaming off down the street towing a trailer full of beer, cookies, and wrenches.    :lolb:
Don't know why they didn't wait till it was all done and running, they never had much patience. Or sense.  Their airplane still doesn't even have the skin on it! Been hanging like this for years in the shop:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #516 on: July 05, 2022, 08:31:38 PM »
So THAT's where they've been all day!  Last I saw, the Mann truck went steaming off down the street towing a trailer full of beer, cookies, and wrenches.    :lolb:
Don't know why they didn't wait till it was all done and running, they never had much patience. Or sense.  Their airplane still doesn't even have the skin on it! Been hanging like this for years in the shop:

Geez, you’d think they would have at least offered me a cookie and some beer. :cheers:    :ThumbsUp:

BTW, NICE looking Sopwith Camel.  :praise2:
Craig

Offline kvom

« Reply #517 on: July 06, 2022, 01:11:34 PM »
I know as a fact from years of reading newspapers that the Sopworth Camel looks like a doghouse.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #518 on: July 06, 2022, 01:23:47 PM »
I know as a fact from years of reading newspapers that the Sopworth Camel looks like a doghouse.
Only the one hangered in Charlie Brown's back yard!   :Lol:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #519 on: July 26, 2022, 08:32:45 PM »
Back from vacation, rested and ready to resume working on this model.  In my travels I journeyed up through Syracuse and Watertown, NY.  I waved at the turn-off to Rochester, but I suspect Chris wasn't watching so he missed me. :o   :lolb:

Having procured a propeller, I started work on the propeller hub.  Here I'm working down the diameter of the hub barrel on the lathe.

After cutting the propeller hub off the stock, I'm just trying to get a flat edge to work from; the finished cross section will be thinner but I need to drill a plethora of holes and I want the stock rigid enough to support the pressure of the drill without bending.

Here I've drilled all the holes in the hub.

I placed the hub back in the lathe to finish the rear of the hub, but here in North Carolina Summers, we can get afternoon thunder storms and one is blowing up now.  I don't want to take the chance of a lightning strike on the power lines frying the electronics in the shop so I'll call it a day.
Craig

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #520 on: July 26, 2022, 08:49:43 PM »
I saw the elves waving out the window, but they didn't say who it was!   :Lol:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #521 on: July 26, 2022, 09:47:33 PM »
Hello Craig,

Still following along with this amazing engine build.  :ThumbsUp:  :DrinkPint: :ThumbsUp:
What size propeller did you buy for it? Must be a big one

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #522 on: July 26, 2022, 09:55:07 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #523 on: July 26, 2022, 11:02:30 PM »
Glad to see you safely back, Craig!  :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #524 on: July 28, 2022, 07:45:42 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  Thanks also for those who just take the time to stop by.

Mike: From what I can tell propellers anywhere from 96 inches to 138 inches were used.  The propeller I bought is 32 inches which fits the smaller size at 1/3rd scale.  They get prohibitively expensive in the larger sizes, as I'm sure you know.  With the mass of the cylinders I'm pretty sure this engine would run without a propeller; still, might as well get one.

Moving on with construction of the propeller hub.

In the photo below, I've faced the rear of the propeller hub down to the correct width.

Fortunately, I had this tapered ream left over from a previous project.  Here I'm reaming the hub in preparation for mounting on the engine.

Moving on the the propeller hub bolts.  Yes, I could have used threaded rod, I even have some the correct size; still, the Le Rhône uses hub bolts, so I've chosen to  make them.  Here I'm drilling the end so that later, I can mount the in-process bolt between centers for turning.

Turning the end of the bolt down so it can be threaded.

Years ago, I discovered that this drill chuck fits nicely in the recess of my small die holder, thus keeping the die centered and the threads “true”.  This is a 5-40 thread.

Now, turning the bolt shaft down to 1/8th inch diameter.

Parting the finished bolt from the stock.

One of the propeller hub bolts.  Only seven more to make.

Hardly a construction; I've rested the propeller with propeller hub on the top of the engine, just to see what things look like.
Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal