Author Topic: The Le Rhone 9C  (Read 58076 times)

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: The Le Rhone 9C
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2022, 12:31:48 AM »
That's a big job for such a small job! Plenty of impressive machining going on in your shop. :ThumbsUp:
Regards,
Ron

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2022, 11:14:42 AM »
I should start by mention that I'm not a machinist or very good in this game + you shouldn't sell yourself short here ..!!!.. as I'm sure everybody are rather impressed with your builds  :praise2:

Second I see that I got it the wrong way around - it isn't the Cams that you tweaked, but the followers and I do understand that given the complexity .... Thank you very much for a detailed show and tell  :cheers:

Per

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2022, 04:07:22 PM »
Couldn't agree with Per and Ron more here.  You do a lot of impressive work and I'm constantly amazed with your builds!

Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #498 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:23 PM »
Ditto those comments above.  Building at small scale can be ridiculously difficult, because the realistic tolerances required also diminish with the scale, in some (many?) cases.   Looking good, Craig! :DrinkPint:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #499 on: June 28, 2022, 05:17:16 PM »
Ron, Per, Kim, and Ben; thanks for the responses and encouragement.  Thanks also for everyone who takes the time to stop by and see the latest.

I've been busy making and installing cam rockers.  The process was to make a cam rocker, install it and check for fit and binding.  Once everything for that rocker was worked out, un-install it and move on to the next cylinder.  I did this because, sometimes, a rocker was installed, tested and adjusted numerous times to get a proper fit and dealing with the assembly of multiple rockers would have been problematic.

As I was working my way around the engine it occurred to me that assembling all nine of the rockers to the mount ring was going to present some problems and when the time came, there indeed were, but nothing that a little problem solving, patience, and persistence didn't resolve.

After assembling all the rockers to the engine case I spun the engine around ten times (to check the fit of all the rockers on all the cam lobes).   Everything moves freely.

Below is a photo of the assembled cam rockers on their mount ring.  It seems a shame to cover all this up with the cam disks, and then subsequently with the front of the engine case.  A lot of work went into this assembly.

While I was taking photos I couldn't resist mounting the intake tubes Dave so kindly provided for me.  I had been painting them all along as time allowed.  Still not sure I like the current finish, but I'll let it be for now.

We might think the engine is nearly complete but in reality there is much work yet to accomplish.  I still need to address ignition and a carburetor as well as making the engine case front, a propeller hub,  and a permanent stand for it.  I'm leaning toward just acquiring a suction carburetor like the many that have been used on models as opposed to trying to make my own.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 06:07:10 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #500 on: June 28, 2022, 05:51:14 PM »
It's a really fine piece of engineering. Beautiful craftsmanship sir!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #501 on: June 28, 2022, 10:23:10 PM »
Wow Craig!  That's just an amazing amount of work you've packed into that engine!  It looks beautiful!  :popcorn: :popcorn:
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2022, 10:28:10 PM »
Oh. My.

Hard to tell its a scaled down model. 

Stunning!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2022, 10:57:28 PM »
 :praise2:  :praise2:   :praise2:   :praise2:   :praise2:

Oh Lord - we are not worthy  ;D - seriously, it looks amazing  :ThumbsUp:

If you want to see it run - I will give you a  :ThumbsUp: for the idea of using a proven carburator.
You can consider making the connection for that in such a way that you easily can change it to a replica for looks / apperance ....  :noidea:

Per

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #504 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:45 AM »
 :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #505 on: June 29, 2022, 03:16:34 PM »
That's a fine engine Craig. Look forward to seeing a "run" video when you complete it.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #506 on: June 30, 2022, 08:11:59 PM »
Looks excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: The top picture reminds me of some of the watches where the mechanism is exposed  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #507 on: June 30, 2022, 11:25:33 PM »
Like Roger said, the assembled followers and gears resemble fine clockwork (and probably required the same requisite skill at the scale you are working to).  I like the intake pipes...they look hand-hammered, which I imagine the originals were as well?  So just spark and carburetor, how hard can that be  :insane: ?   :Lol:

Amazing progress so far, Craig.  Keep up the good work!  :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #508 on: July 03, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »
Stuart, Kim, Chris, Per, Don, CNR, Roger, Ben; thanks for your kind comments and complements.  Thanks also for those who just silently take the me to stop by and see the progress.

Not any progress to report today.  I like to think of myself and as an alert person who can't be easily fooled, but I fell for an internet scam last week.  I realized I'd been scammed in time and locked and then requested a new credit card; so I didn't go in the hole monetarily, but I'm out of business purchasing stuff till the new credit card shows up in the mail.

I need to order the propeller and take possession of it to verify the hub dimensions before I can design and make the propeller hub and the engine case front of the engine.  I also need to order a piece of delrin from which to fabricate the distributor disk at the rear of the engine; so progress on the engine is temporarily halted for a few days.

I did attend the big farm show near Denton, North Carolina this last Saturday and took a few of my models along for the day.  I've provided a photo of my exhibit below.  I took the four Otto & Langen models and,of course, the Le Rhône.  The Le Rhône got a lot of interest from the folks who stopped by.  It was a good day despite the fact that I left my tool box at home and had to borrow a few tools to assemble the acetylene hoses and some oil to lubricate the Otto & Langens.  All the Otto & Langen models ran flawlessly.  As usual, I spent the day giving the history of the Otto & Langen engines; I guess being retired from a University I'm still looking for that teachable moment.

While I'm talking about shows, I plan on attending the Rough and Tumble Association shown at Kinzer, Pennsylvania this August.  I should be set up in the model building and I plan on taking the four Otto & Langen models as well as the Le Rhône, so if you plan on attending, please stop by and say Hi.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline kvom

« Reply #509 on: July 04, 2022, 12:17:26 PM »
My wife and I attended Rough & Tumble a few years ago.  I need to look into this year's dates.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal