Author Topic: The Le Rhone 9C  (Read 58687 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: The Le Rhone 9C
« Reply #270 on: January 01, 2022, 08:40:40 PM »
That looks fantastic.  But it does rather make ones eyes go a bit funny.

Colin

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #271 on: January 01, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »
Thanks for stopping by to see the latest; also thank you to all the folks who responded to my last post; getting the pistons, connecting rods, slipper shoes, and slipper disk all assembled and working in the engine frame was a ‘milestone’ event in the construction of this engine. 

There have been a few comments on how flimsy the slipper shoes appear.  I assure you they are plenty strong for the task they need to perform.  Even if I had a true model size displacement with this model, I still think they would be plenty strong.  I keep thinking of the engine mounts you see on engine stands used for the full size aircraft engines.  Lots of what looks like flimsy tubing to support the engine, but they seem to do the job just fine.

Now time to move on to the next phase.  Nothing as exciting as the last post I made; here I’m starting on fabrication of the cylinder heads.  This will be slow going because there are nine of these to make.  Below I’m forming the bottom of the head that protrudes don into the cylinder.  This is unique to the model, not the full size.

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #272 on: January 01, 2022, 11:24:55 PM »
..."There have been a few comments on how flimsy the slipper shoes appear."

Craig...in model engineering, the smaller the scale, the more flimsy the bits can look, and whilst we do scale components dimensions, one element that does not change and this is the material strength...[shear, compressive or ultimate tensile etc]

If a round pin of Grade 4140 steel in real life has a Tensile strength of 655 MPa, and the scale pin produced from the same Grade material

Then the force required to being pulled apart in tensile strength] must also be reduced 'down' by the scale

I hope this makes sense

Happy New Year

Derek

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline mikemill

« Reply #273 on: January 03, 2022, 02:50:52 PM »
Craig
I have been following your Le Rhone build with great interest, as it brings back fond memories of my Bentley BR2 build many years ago. Looking through my files for a drawing I came across some black and white pics of the BR2 one with an exploded view. I thought you might be interested in them.

Mike

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #274 on: January 03, 2022, 09:47:50 PM »
Beautiful work, Craig!  Glad to hear the new parts fit...both on your knee and on the motor! :Jester:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #275 on: January 04, 2022, 10:22:32 PM »
Derek, Mike, Ben; thanks for your interest and posts; thanks also for those of you that just take the time to silently stop by to see the latest.

Mike; you’ve built an extraordinary machine.  If mine looks half as good I’ll be satisfied.

This build seems to be progressing at glacial speed.  If I were working at the rate I’ve build other projects I’d have it done and would be off on another endeavor.  I’m not is a rush, it’s not as if Albert Ball were waiting for me to complete a new engine for his Nieuport.  :facepalm2:

Work progressed on the cylinder heads.  I’m using collets not especially for accuracy, but with the collets I can cut the finished diameter without fear of having a tool collision with the lathe chauk.

Lots of steps in fabricating the main component for the cylinder head.  There will be three additional components that are grafted onto this head so it resembles the casting of the full size.

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2022, 11:52:01 PM »
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your comments. 

I made a few more of the cylinder head bases today.  It occurred to me that some of you might be having problems trying to visualize exactly what I’m trying to accomplish.  To help you out I thought I’d supply a bit of background.  Firstly, below is a photo of a cylinder head on a full size Le Rhône.  This is for a Le Rhône 9J (not 9C) so a few things are backward since the placement of the pushrods are at the rear of the engine case (as opposed to the front with the 9C).

Below is a rendering of the head I’m building as rendered by my CAD system.

To fill out the background; below is a photo of the exploded parts that will go together to make my cylinder head.  Obviously, I’m currently working on the base part. On the full size, the intake and exhaust parts are integrated as part of the cylinder casting.

The first step in fabrication of the head base is to drill and tap the holes that will be used to attach this cylinder head to the cylinder.  On the full size, the cylinder head and cylinder are integral but I’m making them separate in order to simplify the construction of the engine.

Next, I’m drilling the holes that will allow thru bolts to attach the intake part of the cylinder head to this cylinder head base.  On the full size, this is integral to the cylinder casting.

I need these thru bolts to be flush to the bottom of the head so that the cylinder dead will seal when attached to the cylinder, so I’m cutting a recess so a cap screw will fit flush to the bottom of the head (where it attaches to the cylinder).  I've placed a cap screw into one of these holes to help you understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

Another thru bolt attaches the part that holds the rocker arm to the top if the cylinder head.  I can’t use a drill to cut away this material, so I’m using an end mill.

Once again, I need to recess the head of the bolt, so I’m cutting a recess.

A view of the fit of the recessed bolt.

Now I’ve turned the head base over and am holding it in a 5C collet so I can machine the top of the part.
The rocker shaft support attaches to the head using a bolt threaded through the hole formed as shown in the previous photo.  On this top side, I need to cut away the material so the rocker shaft support will fit up against the top of the cylinder head.  I need to cut away the material that occupies the area that will be part of the cylinder head fins.

Here I’m locating the center of the orifice that will be used to attach the exhaust part.  That part will attach to the top of the cylinder head.  I’m not cutting the valve guides or valve seats until I assemble the exhaust and intake parts of the cylinder head so I can be assured that everything will be in alignment.

The exhaust part of the head screws into the head base part.  Here I’m cutting the threads that will be used for that attachment.

Time to cut in the fins on the top of the cylinder head.  Here I’m cutting in the center relief.

Starting on the first fin.  I’m cutting these with a 1/16th inch diameter end mill to a depth of 3/32 inch.  I’m using three passes, cutting a depth of roughly .030 inches per pass, which is around half the diameter of the end mill.  Probably can’t push the end mill harder than that.

One side of the head fins complete, starting of the other side

Just completing this head base.

Four cylinder head bases complete, well almost.  Once I get the intake and exhaust parts of the head fabricated and attached to these bases I can machine the valve guides and valve seats.  Once that is complete I’ll need to cut the two fins on the cylinder head base diameter.  Were I to cut these fins now, the head would be too fragile to hold to complete the machining.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:59:11 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #278 on: January 07, 2022, 01:08:40 AM »
Craig--I am super impressed. Lovely design and machining.---Brian

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #279 on: January 07, 2022, 05:22:11 AM »
Great post, Craig!   :popcorn:

Your explanation and step-by-step really help me see where you're going with this.  Very well thought out construction!

Kim

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »
This is going to be a real beauty when done. Will be watching for the video.
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2022, 05:26:18 PM »
As others said, that is a very nice presentation of how your cylinders will go together, well thought out.

Also puts me a bit in awe of the machinists back in the day, making the cylinder pots and heads from a single casting...and the pilots that then took these things into the air, all that mass spinning around in front of them!  :o

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2022, 07:00:37 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2022, 05:19:01 AM »
Very impressive work Craig……. :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »
Still following and enjoying  :)  :)  :wine1: If you feel you are working at glacial speed I don't know how I can describe my current progress, tectonic  :headscratch:   ::)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal